calculating the shunt value for 10 Arms drive using IGCM20F60GA

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User16966
Level 1
Level 1
Hello all,

I'm using the CIPOS to drive an AC motor and my target is to reach 10 Arms phase motor current.

I set the shunt resistors are 0.03 Ohm.

after few seconds the temperature of the shunt is 150 °C because the power on each resistor is 3 W.

Please could you indicate a typical value of shunt resistor for reaching 10 Arms current on the load?

Thanks
0 Likes
1 Solution
Emanuel
Employee
Employee
10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored First solution authored
Hi AndreaC,

please have a look at the application note: AN2016-12 from the CIPOS IGCM20F20FA webpage, under application notes.
There you get an idea on how to calculate the shunt resistor and what our application engineer used for the reference design.
For the shunt, we generally recommend high power SMD components to be used in order to reduce the stray inductance. This are available from different manufacturers of passive components.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Emanuel
Employee
Employee
10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored First solution authored
Hi AndreaC,

please have a look at the application note: AN2016-12 from the CIPOS IGCM20F20FA webpage, under application notes.
There you get an idea on how to calculate the shunt resistor and what our application engineer used for the reference design.
For the shunt, we generally recommend high power SMD components to be used in order to reduce the stray inductance. This are available from different manufacturers of passive components.
0 Likes