Tle5206

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
I would like to use the TLE5206 to control a DC motor without PWM. I merely want to start, stop, and reverse the motor. I set up the circuit shown on page 14, Figure 5 Application Circuit. The motor does not come on reliably when the inputs at IN1 and IN2 are present. That is, I get a very slight motor movement for a couple of times when the inuts are toggled and then the motor would randomly run properly. What can be the problem? The inputs are TTL 5VDC logic levels. The motor is a typical automotive power window motor.
0 Likes
6 Replies
Not applicable
I'm not familiar with the TLE5206, but does it have short circuit protection? It might simply be that the motor initially draws a lot of current. A small coil might do wonders to stem the initial surge.
0 Likes
Not applicable
The TLE5206 has short circuit diagnosis and overtemperature protection. I will try putting in a small coil as you suggest. Thanks for you quick reply.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Don't forget the diode for the feedback of the coil.

switch---+---coil---motor
|
_|_
/_\
|
GND
0 Likes
Not applicable
Still having problems with driving a motor with the TLE5206. I can get the motor going sometimes by connecting and reconnecting one of the inputs while keeping the other input tied high or low. It should not be this hard.
0 Likes
Not applicable
I tried a different motor that requires less power and the circuit worked OK. Apparently the TLE5206 cannot power an automobile power window motor under no load. Could it be a starting torque issue? I can "feel" the motor start to turn when the inputs are applied but cannot sustain to continue. Any ideas?
0 Likes
mwinn
Employee
Employee
Hello Rich,

For sure a window motor is much to large for the TLE5206 to drive. You are exactly right the starting torque is an issue. I would recommend a device that has a lot less channel path rds(on). What are the motor specs ?
0 Likes