TLE5206 Short Circuiting

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
I have a TLE5206 that I am trying to use to drive a small linear actuator. The actuator draw's 0.5A normally, and It stalls at aprox 4A. I am driving this with an arduino, using PWM from the Arduino to change directions. I also have a chunk of aluminum attached to the back of the chip to act as a heat sink.

Both inputs are High for free-wheeling, and to move, one input PWM's low. I am able to move the motor while ramping my PWM values very gently, but after a short bit of use, the TLE5206 will short its input to ground, causing my fused 5A power trace to burn.

My actuator will run quite happily from my 5A benchtop power supply, so I doubt it draws more than 5A on initial start.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to do? run 2 bridges in parallel?

Thank you for your assistance.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Not applicable
If anyone has any suggestions, or would like any more information, I would be glad to comply.

I appreciate the help in advance.

Thank you.
0 Likes
User270
Level 5
Level 5
5 solutions authored First solution authored
Hi,

You wrote: ... the TLE5206 will short its input to ground, causing my fused 5A power trace to burn.

Probably an operating conditon at the inputs was exceeded like a voltage undershoot below -0.3V. What about the powering of the device? Traces to power pins GND and VS should be low ohmic and low inductive (no vias) and layouted directly to power supply (star concept). The output pins should have short traces to the contact terminals of the actuator. This to avoid such undershoots.

To get an idea what happened with the output you can analyze whether the diodes are showing still their characteristic curve or forward voltage.

The Arduino and your power supply were not affected?

Additonal I think you need to check the U-/I-curve of the actuator powered by the benchtop power supply. I guess two parallel bridges will not solve your problem.
0 Likes
Not applicable
I apologize for not being specific enough. The bridge's VS and Ground are shorted, causing my power supply trace to burn. I am feeding this 24v directly from some obscenely big batteries. I have a pair of capacitors across the 24v supply lines, both physically close to the bridge. One is a 10uF, and the other is a 0.1uF. I'm guessing these are simply way too small, so I will try adding a 4700uF capacitor.

The current VS line is a straight trace, with no via's.

the board has its own ATMEGA328P, the same chip found on an arduino, and it was not affected.
0 Likes
User270
Level 5
Level 5
5 solutions authored First solution authored
The 4700uF and 470nF in parallel are shown in the datasheet test circuit as well. You should connect them very close to the pins VS and GND. Did you test this already?
You may also test the break low mode, actually you are using break high.

How much is the stored energy of the actuator's motor coil which has to be taken over by the device in break mode (free-wheeling)?
0 Likes