Many Instances of DAVE on 1 PC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User7795
Level 4
Level 4
Hi Infineon,

is it possible to start 3 instances of DAVE on the same PC at the same time, using 3 independent JLink servers connected via 3 USB ports to 3 debuggers connected to 3 targets? These 3 targets are connected via data links and I want to switch fast between the debuggers of the 3 targets when testing/debugging the whole system.
Or are 3 PCs needed?

Best Regards
Wolfgang
0 Likes
3 Replies
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

Starting 3 instances of DAVE4 is not a problems as long as each uses a different workspace.
The JLink GDBServer allows changing the port on which to listen, therefore I think it should be possible but I never try it.
You can change the port in the debug configuration.

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
User7795
Level 4
Level 4
Hi Jesus,

thanks for your answer,
then I'll buy a third debugger, test it and report here, what happened.

Regards
Wolfgang
0 Likes
User7795
Level 4
Level 4
Now I have 3 debuggers to test it and the result is: it runs.

The steps are:

1) Mark the 3 debuggers with a number (1,2,3)

2) Start the freeware USBDeview, connect each debugger to the pc at the usb port you intend to use for this debugger (but only 1 at the same time) and note the displayed serial number of the device 'J-Link' (e.g. 551001948)

3) Place each target code in a separate workspace (if still in same directory, copy each project directory and file .metadata into a separate directory)

4) Open DAVE-IDE Help / Preferences / General / Startup and Shutdown / Workspaces and check 'Prompt for workspace on startup' and close IDE

5) Now start 3 instances of the DAVE-IDE and select one of the 3 workspaces (the pc must have enough ram, each instance needs about 1 gig)

6) Connect all 3 debuggers to the pc and the targets (use same usb ports as at step 2)

7) At all 3 DAVE instances open 'Debug Configurations' (down arrow near the bug on main menue), select tab debugger and at line 'Connection' enter the usb serial number of the debugger connected to the target of this IDE instance

😎 And at same tab: All debuggers need different port numbers, thus at debugger 2 and 3 lines 'GDB port', 'SWO port' and 'Telnet port' increment the port numbers of debugger 2 by 10 and of debugger 3 by 20.

That's all.

Best Regards
Wolfgang
0 Likes