infineon@linkedin linkedin

infineon4engi@twitter twitter

infineon@youtube youtube

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EVAL BGT24LTR11 BOARD FMCW mode

Beginner Beginner emacar is on a distinguished road

EVAL BGT24LTR11 BOARD FMCW mode

Hello,
    I am working with the EVAL BGT24LTR11 BOARD. It works fine in Doppler mode but I am noticing some problems when configured to FMCW mode.
    I applied a sawtooth signal at the Vtune pin with a period of 1 ms and an amplitude from 1.3 V to 1.7 V in order to have 200-250 MHz of bandwidth. I have made different tests both connecting antennas to the TX and RX pins or connecting together the TX and RX pins by means of a cable and an attenuator in order to exclude possible problems caused by the antennas.
    At IF, using I see different peaks with a spacing of 1 KHz. I am getting a bit confused because I worked in a similar way with the BGTMTR11 chip but I had not the same issues.
    The peaks in my opinion are due to some crosstalk from the sawtooth signal but anyway I don't know how to solve.
    Someone succesfully used this evaluation board in FMCW mode?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by emacar; May 29th, 2019 at 05:11 AM.

New Member New Member Jhon is on a distinguished road
    Hi emacar:

Do you mean you are using Spectrum Analyzer and see peaks with 1KHz spacing? Try using an oscilloscope, you may see the sawtooth signal you applied at the vtune pin.

Hi,
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    But why am I not able to see the signal spectrum? For calculating the target distance I need to calculate the frequency peak in the spectrum as for the BGT24MTR11 chip.

New Member New Member Jhon is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by emacar View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    But why am I not able to see the signal spectrum? For calculating the target distance I need to calculate the frequency peak in the spectrum as for the BGT24MTR11 chip.
    The IF output is too small compared to the sawtooth leakage signal, it should be amplified by several dozens dB,
    and the amplifier should also be a high pass filter, in order to attenuate the sawtooth leakage and the strong echos of near obstacles.

My purpose was to detect near targets from 0 to 5 m. I was able to do this with BGTMTR11 but I am understanding that this is not possible with the BGT24LTR11 board. Maybe the sawtooth leakage echoes are to strong for short distances, do you agree with this?

+ Reply to Thread