How to get an EASY KIT XC836-TSOP board back in factory default?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
I have two EASY KIT XC836-TSOP boards. One works fine. The other seems to malfunction. So I would like to return the malfunctioning one back into the factory default setting in order to start from scratch.
But, I can't connect to it with the XC800_FLOAD V5.2 T utility....

I connected the USB cable,
I selected the JTAG/SPD protocol,
I selected the UDAS/JTAG over USB pfysical interface,
I selected the XC83x-2F as target device,
And then I press "Connect"....

For the proper board I can connect and reprogram it without problems, but for the failing board I get an error message when connecting telling me that no device is found or not in OCDS mode. (See attached screenshot 1)
Then I can click "yes" to allow the devie to be switched to the OCDS mode via SPD_0. This gives an other error message telling me that it's unable to swith to SPD mode. (See attached screenshot 2)

Resetting the target and trying again does not help.

Is there any other way to force the XC836 processor on the EASY KIT into responding?
Any other tough method to erase the flash?

Any suggestion is OK...

Best regards, Johan.
0 Likes
6 Replies
ysta_4686741
Employee
Employee
Welcome! First question asked First reply posted
Hi, first make sure the jumper setting on the XC836 easy kit board is set correctly for SPD connection. The jumper at COM_SEL should set to USB. Next, the USB port and usb cable should be version 2.0. Furthermore, download and install the latest FLOAD at http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontrollers/development-tools,-software-and-kits/xc800-d... and DAS at www.infineon.com/das.
If using usb 2.0 port and latest tools still cannot connect to XC836, then i would suspect the XC836 device is damaged or the BMI mode of the XC836 device is being set to User mode (productive) which prevent the connection of FLOAD to the XC836 device.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Dear YS,

Thanks for your reply.
I followed your instructions. I set the jumpers correct for SPD, I installed the latest DAS and FLOAD and I used a true USB 2.0 port and cable.
But still no connection to the processor... 😞
So it's indeed either a damaged XC836 device or BMI mode in User Mode...

In case the device is not damaged, and thus in Productive User BMI Mode... Is there a way to get it back into SPD mode???

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards, Johan.
0 Likes
Not applicable
When you power up your malfunctioning board, does it start to execute the default code (counting seconds on the 7-segment display)? If the code is running and you cannot connect, then the BMI is really in user mode (or the FTDI chip is damaged). In this case, the only solution is unsoldering the microcontroller and soldering a new one on the board 😞
If no code is running, then maybe you are lucky and the BMI is UART BSL mode so you can try to connect via UART (set the jumpers properly first).
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hello Tomattilla,

Yes, at power-up the board runs the default code. So I have to agree with you that the BMI must be (accidentally) in user mode.
I already ordered a few free samples in order to replace the chips on my board. That's a good desoldering/resoldering exercise for me... 🙂

Thanks for your assistance in determining the root cause.

Best regards from the Netherlands, Johan.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi, good luck with soldering!

Just a small correction: when I wrote "user mode", I meant to write "user mode (productive)" (instead of user mode (diagnostic))
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hello Tomattilla,

I already suspected that you meant "user mode (productive)" instead of the diagnostic version of that mode... ;-)))
Infineon just provided me with free samples, so now I need some "steady-hand&full-concentration" time to do the MCU-swap on the board...

Best regards from the Netherlands, Johan.
0 Likes