XMC4800 Relax Kit USB debug

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User16548
Level 1
Level 1
Hi there,
according to the data sheet, debug should be possible with the USB connector X101.
I can't get it to work.
What settings do I have to use?
The debug led is on with a short flicker.

Any idea?
I am very new to this bard and processor and DAVID 4...

Thanks
0 Likes
9 Replies
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

Did you downloaded and installed the J-Link Software and Documentation pack for Windows? https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/JLink_Windows.exe
See https://www.infineonforums.com/threads/6115-DAVE-Webcast-Getting-started

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
User16548
Level 1
Level 1
Thanks ! I downloaded the software and still have some trouble...
I couldn't find any information on how to set it up the right way.
3454.attach
0 Likes
User16548
Level 1
Level 1
Hello??? No response?
0 Likes
User14604
Level 4
Level 4
First solution authored
Hello Jojahn,

we have been using the XMC4800 Relax Kit on this port for testing / debugging purposes in the past.

To test whether it is a cable problem, please check if a "CDC COM port" USB device is visible to your system after connecting the USB cable. (We use the small tool "USBDeview". Description of the device is "JLink CDC UART Port", "Drive Letter" should have a COM port assigned.)

When creating a debug profile in DAVE, simply use the default settings. You only need to define the "C/C++ application" in tab "Main" (click "Search Project", then select the .ELF file). In Debugger, my settings are different (e.g. Endianess and JTAG, both make a difference), please see attached screen shot.

3471.attach

If you need a simple debuggable test project, please reply.
0 Likes
User16548
Level 1
Level 1
Thank you very much for responding. I just got the board and kind of frustrated with the support to get started... LOL

I used the same settings as decribed in your post. I still get the same error message... USB is visible and assigned to COM5.I used a different USB cable, same issue...
The Debug screen start's but times out.....
Here is the screen shot before time-out.

Thank you so much
Josh3475.attach

P.S. Yes, please send me a file that should work for debug testing.
.... and I speak German....LOL
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
User14604
Level 4
Level 4
First solution authored
Hello Josh,

attached you'll find a simple CRC example, which initializes the CRC32 engine, then calculates the checksum on the data[]. Placing the debugger on the closing while loop should give you the result. You still need to compile, create the debugging profile (see previous post) and start debugging.

In your screenshot, it says "Firmware: J-Link Lite-XMC4200", but i double-checked with my output and it states the same. But I wonder why it says "big endian", because the chip should be "little endian".
I'm using Segger Tools v6.30f, you are using a newer version. Don't know if it makes a difference.

You could try to manually connect to the device:
1. Open J-Link Commander, which is a terminal program. Has been installed with the whole Segger toolset.
2. Type Connect. It should state smth about your XMC4800-2048.
3. Type ? to open the device selection. Select Infineon and XMC4800-2048 and click OK.
4. Type swd so select SWD interface type.
5. Set speed to 2000.

3478.attach

Some messages should appear, ending with Cortex-M4 identified. If it doesn't work, please tell where you got stuck.

0 Likes
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
jojahn wrote:
Thanks ! I downloaded the software and still have some trouble...
I couldn't find any information on how to set it up the right way.
3454.attach

Hi,

Normally you do not need to setup anything when using DAVE.
In your case I can see that the executable is not found. Either you have not yet compiled the project or you got errors while compiling.
For more information about the plugin see https://gnu-mcu-eclipse.github.io/debug/jlink/. Bear in mind that in our case most of the settings are derived from the project settings.

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
User16548
Level 1
Level 1
Here I am...
I found a way to download and run in debug the Blinky file.... cool.
All I like to do now, is to download and run the Ethercat program. The download is always interrupted.
Does anybody has the sample file ready to download? I can not find the file, mentioned in the Dave first step manual.
- Just few Input/Output signals that I can start with.
I requested the membership in the EtherCat group - no repose yet.

Thanks
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MichaelIFX
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
Hi JoJahn,
in regard to your ETG membership it would be the best if you talk to the ETG.
The list of members is quite huge and most of the established companies in the automation industry have signed up already. So most possibly also your company.
https://www.ethercat.org/en/members.html
If your are unexperienced on EtherCAT at all, I would recommend to go for a training at the ETG first.
If you need support on embedded design in general I can also advise you on a PDH.

As our examples are based on the SSC stack from the ETG, ETG membership is a requirement to use and compile the examples.
This is also stated inside the documentation you find inside the examples zip-file.
Beside this, the documentation gives you guidance how to create/compile/download/test the example.
I'm wondering how you tried to execute the example without membership?!
Of course you are free to use any kind of commercial 3rd party stack or implement your own. Feel free!

Our examples based on the SSC stack for EtherCAT you can find here for download:
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/promopages/aim-mc/dave_downloads.html
ETHCAT_SSC_XMC48
ETHCAT_FWUPDATE_SSC_APPLICATION_XMC48

If it helps to take you over the hurdle of generating the source with the ETG tool and compiling the project on your own, please find the binary attached (hex-format).

You can use it to download it to the XMC48 Relax Kit. You can use JLINK Commander for download.
The help-system inside JLINK is quite good but still the following information might be useful for you:

1. Use "connect" command to connect to the kit.
1.1 Select XMC4800-2048 device
1.2 Select SWD
1.3 Select default speed
2. Use "erase" command to erase the flash.
3. Use "loadbin" to download the hex-file to the correct locations inside flash.
e.g. loadbin C:\Workspaces\ECAT\ETHCAT_SSC_XMC48\Debug\ETHCAT_SSC_XMC48.hex, 0x0C000000

Kind Regards

Michael
0 Likes