TLV493D 3D mag sensor not robustly reliable

Announcements

Measure CO2 When It Matters - Infineon’s XENSIV™ PAS CO2 now comes in SparkFun Red. Check it now!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Renate
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted
I'm using a TLV493D 3D mag sensor on I2C using the "Master Command Mode".
It generally works, but not robustly.
I'm polling at 5 second intervals and I hit maybe 5% of the time where the CH/FR indicates that it hasn't finished conversion.
Yes, I can try another read.
Since the MCM mode doesn't actually power down, you can't use the PD flag to check for completion.
Some of the time it indicates that conversion is finished but the binary value of the temperature read is zero (XYZ is good).
Sometimes, it seems to lock up the bus completely.

Yes, I have full recovery methods working, but I'm not impressed.

The reference manual says:
5.6 ADC hang up in Master Controlled or Fast Mode
Problem description
In the Master Controlled Mode (MCM) or the Fast Mode (FM) the ADC conversion may hang up.

Say what?
0 Likes
1 Solution
Deepa_V
First comment on KBA 50 likes received 250 replies posted
0 Likes
5 Replies
lifesaprototype
Employee
Employee
First comment on blog 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins
Hi,

I see the same with a hung up ADC from time to time. Performing a reset as described in 5.6 works quite well in my case.
btw: why aren't you running the sensor in the master controlled low-power mode (5.5.1)?
0 Likes
Renate
Level 3
Level 3
Well, the 5.5.1 "Master controlled low-power mode" uses the /INT (SCL), which kind of makes the whole I2C bus non-standard.
That /INT might have been useful if they had broken it out on a separate pin.
Anyway, turning down the power after conversion is not a big difference from the regular MCM.

The 5.6 reset of broadcasting to everything is kind of an ugly thing to do on the I2C bus.
Who knows what other devices on the bus could do?
Moreover, the I2C spec says that you are supposed to send an actual byte after the broadcast address.

Yes, I do repeated reads, yes, I do full broadcast reset/config, yes, I have gotten this to nominally working ok.

In any case, it's kind of like buying a new TV and being told that if the picture turns snowy to just smack it on the side.
0 Likes
User16897
Level 1
Level 1
If only smacking it on the side worked. Unfortunately, it's more intricate than that. You're 100% right, Renate.
0 Likes
Deepa_V
First comment on KBA 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hi @Renate ,

Please refer this thread :  https://community.infineon.com/t5/3D-Hall-Magnetic-sensor/TLV493-A1B6-lockup-crash-bug/td-p/344863 for the hang up issue. 

Best Regards,

Deepa

0 Likes
Renate
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks. It's nice that after three full years this problem is acknowledged.

Unfortunately, it's 2022 now and there doesn't seem to be any availibility of TLV493D-A2BW

0 Likes