infineon@google+ Google+

infineon@linkedin linkedin

infineon4engi@twitter twitter

infineon@youtube youtube

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TLV493D 3D mag sensor not robustly reliable

New Member New Member Renate is on a distinguished road

TLV493D 3D mag sensor not robustly reliable

I'm using a TLV493D 3D mag sensor on I2C using the "Master Command Mode".
    It generally works, but not robustly.
    I'm polling at 5 second intervals and I hit maybe 5% of the time where the CH/FR indicates that it hasn't finished conversion.
    Yes, I can try another read.
    Since the MCM mode doesn't actually power down, you can't use the PD flag to check for completion.
    Some of the time it indicates that conversion is finished but the binary value of the temperature read is zero (XYZ is good).
    Sometimes, it seems to lock up the bus completely.

Yes, I have full recovery methods working, but I'm not impressed.

The reference manual says:
    5.6 ADC hang up in Master Controlled or Fast Mode
    Problem description
    In the Master Controlled Mode (MCM) or the Fast Mode (FM) the ADC conversion may hang up.
    Say what?

Beginner
    Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    dagern is on a distinguished road
    Hi,

I see the same with a hung up ADC from time to time. Performing a reset as described in 5.6 works quite well in my case.
    btw: why aren't you running the sensor in the master controlled low-power mode (5.5.1)?
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

New Member New Member Renate is on a distinguished road
    Well, the 5.5.1 "Master controlled low-power mode" uses the /INT (SCL), which kind of makes the whole I2C bus non-standard.
    That /INT might have been useful if they had broken it out on a separate pin.
    Anyway, turning down the power after conversion is not a big difference from the regular MCM.

The 5.6 reset of broadcasting to everything is kind of an ugly thing to do on the I2C bus.
    Who knows what other devices on the bus could do?
    Moreover, the I2C spec says that you are supposed to send an actual byte after the broadcast address.

Yes, I do repeated reads, yes, I do full broadcast reset/config, yes, I have gotten this to nominally working ok.

In any case, it's kind of like buying a new TV and being told that if the picture turns snowy to just smack it on the side.

New Member New Member Spratling is on a distinguished road
    If only smacking it on the side worked. Unfortunately, it's more intricate than that. You're 100% right, Renate.

+ Reply to Thread