XMC4200 software controlled VCO (Distance2GO PCB)

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User15867
Level 1
Level 1
5 questions asked First reply posted First question asked
According to AN543, Distance2GO can control VCO voltage using software-generated ramp (open-loop concept):

"This procedure would eliminate the need for
hardware PLL but requires complex ramp generating techniques and signal processing algorithms for proper
target detection. The Distance2Go PCB is designed to implement this functionality if one desires to do so.
However Infineon currently does not provide any firmware, supporting such software based ramp generation for
distance measurement."

Can someone explain what they meant by this statement? Does the PCB support software based ramp generation? And by "does not provide any firmware" they meant the provided Radar GUI doesn't support it? If both are "yes", then it's acceptable as I only care about raw I/Q. How do I implement software-controlled ramps? Terminating Q1/Q1n and connecting DAC1 to VCO_Coarse can be done easily. I know there's a library in DAVE xmc_dac.h and it seems to have defined triangular and sawtooth ramp but I don't have experience in embedded software so I'm sure how to initialize it and "turn it on".
0 Likes
1 Solution
Montassar-BR
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 5 questions asked 250 sign-ins

Please take a look to the Distance2GoL product, where the BGT24LTR11 MMIC is
controlled using a software-based open-loop concept. Frequency is measured periodically and VCO is tuned
accordingly. The external (Phase Locked Loop) PLL IC is eliminated.

Best Regards,
Montassar.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
User22640
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted Welcome!

I wished someone helped you, because I have the exact same problem years later

0 Likes
Montassar-BR
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 5 questions asked 250 sign-ins

Please take a look to the Distance2GoL product, where the BGT24LTR11 MMIC is
controlled using a software-based open-loop concept. Frequency is measured periodically and VCO is tuned
accordingly. The external (Phase Locked Loop) PLL IC is eliminated.

Best Regards,
Montassar.

0 Likes