infineon@youtube youtube

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gate driver IC FAQ

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    circlejhx is on a distinguished road

Gate driver IC FAQ

This thread is a collection of gate driver IC related questions.
    Last edited by circlejhx; Oct 24th, 2018 at 04:59 AM.
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

What is the advantage of gate driver ICs comparing with discrete driver solutions?

Target: Optimization of system performance
    Better integrated protection of power transistor and application:
    • Short circuit protection
    • Safe shut down after failure
    • Isolated outputs

Save PCB space:
    • Up to 50% PCB area reduction compared to discrete Optocoupler & Transformer based solutions
    • Easier to design in (integrated functionality)
    • Less discrete parts required
    • Low power consumption
    Last edited by circlejhx; Oct 24th, 2018 at 04:55 AM.
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

What is the isolation voltage of Infineon Coreless Transformer technology products

• Functional isolation (1ED020I12-F2, 2ED020I12-F2, 1ED Compact ): +/- 1200 V
    • Basic isolation (1ED020I12-B2/-BT): UL 1577, VISO = 3750 V(rms) for 1 minute; VDE 0884-10, VIORM = 1420 V
    • Reinforced isolation (1EDS20I12SV): UL 1577, VISO = 5000 V(rms) for 1 min; VDE 0884-10, VIORM = 1420 V, VIOTM = 8000 V
    Last edited by circlejhx; Oct 24th, 2018 at 05:51 AM.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

What is difference between 1ED020I12-F2 and 1ED020I12-B2?

Only the Isolation classification is different, 1ED020I12-F2 has functional isolation and 1ED020I12-B2 has basic isolation. Pin configuration and application function are the same.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

Is 1700 V EiceDRIVER™ IC available?

1700 V EiceDRIVER™ driver IC is not available at the moment.
    1700 V EiceDRIVER™ Boards are available (2ED300C17-S / 2ED300C17-ST).

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

What is Two-Level Turn-Off?

The Two-Level Turn-Off introduces a second turn off voltage level at the driver output in between ON- and OFF level. This additional level ensures lower VCE overshoots at turn off by reducing gate emitter voltage of the IGBT at short circuits or over current events.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

Can we have the Two-Level Turn-Off function activated only when short circuit occurs?

Based on the current product (1ED020I12-BT), this Two-Level Turn-Off is always on, meaning on each switching cycle (no matter normal operation or DESAT). It gives overvoltage protection for the power device during each switching cycle (include normal case, over current case and short circuit case).
    Last edited by circlejhx; Oct 24th, 2018 at 05:10 AM.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

Can the Two-Level Turn-Off function be disabled in 1ED020I12-BT?

No. This function is always enabled and no external pin can be used to disable it.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

Why does Two-Level Turn-Off function result in a delay time during turn-on?

When the Two-Level Turn-Off signal finishes, there is a delay time to cut off the output, so the same delay time must be shifted to keep the same on-time.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

What is the difference between soft turn-off and Two-Level Turn-Off (TLTO)?

Soft turn-off is done by RC discharging circuit to reduce IGBT gate voltage smoothly. It is mainly used to control the IGBT turn-off speed during short circuit (DESAT) condition, so as to not abruptly shut off the IGBT short circuit current ->Avoid high di/dt, otherwise this high di/dt will induce overvoltage at IGBT. Once the overvoltage is larger than the blocking capability of IGBT, it will be damaged.
    Two-Level Turn-Off is an alternative method compared to the soft turn-off. The difference is that the soft turn-off timing is not controllable and predictable since it depends on the load (so to say, you do not know when it will be really finished), so it is hard to make the control from μC side.
    The timing of Two-Level Turn-Off is controllable via the external capacitor CTLSET, so the user definitely knows how long it will take for the Two-Level Turn-Off, so it is easier for the customer to define the control program.

+ Reply to Thread
Disclaimer

All content and materials on this site are provided “as is“. Infineon makes no warranties or representations with regard to this content and these materials of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, whether express or implied, is granted by Infineon. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from Infineon.

Infineon accepts no liability for the content and materials on this site being accurate, complete or up- to-date or for the contents of external links. Infineon distances itself expressly from the contents of the linked pages, over the structure of which Infineon has no control.

Content on this site may contain or be subject to specific guidelines or limitations on use. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Usage Terms of the site; third parties using this content agree to abide by any limitations or guidelines and to comply with the Usage Terms of this site. Infineon reserves the right to make corrections, deletions, modifications, enhancements, improvements and other changes to the content and materials, its products, programs and services at any time or to move or discontinue any content, products, programs, or services without notice.