XMC4500 ETH0 Promblem with PORT2

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User15814
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

I have a strange behaviour concerning the ETH0 on the XMC4500.

1. Im configurating the ports on the XMC as follows:
P2.10 reset Pin -> software controlled
P1.10, ETH0_MDC => O
P1.11, ETH0_MDIO => I0
P1.12, ETH0_TX_EN => O ALT1
P1.12, ETH0_TX_EN => O ALT1
P1.13, ETH0_TXD0 => O ALT1
P1.14, ETH0_TXD1 => O ALT1
P2.2, ETH0_RXD0 A => I
P2.4, ETH0_RXER A => I
P2.11, ETH0_TXER => O ALT1
P2.12, ETH0_TXD2 => O ALT1
P2.13, ETH0_TXD3 => O ALT1
P5.1, ETH0_RXD1 D => I
P5.2, ETH0_RXDV D => I
P5.5, ETH0_COL D => I
P5.8, ETH0_RXD2 A => I
P5.11, ETH0_CRS A => I
P6.3, ETH0_RXD3 B => I
P6.5, ETH0_CLKRX D => I
P6.6, ETH0_CLK_TX B => I

2. Scanning the PHY Address to use
When scanning the PHY cannot be found, because im not getting valid data from the Physical (MICREL KSZ8863MLL) via the MDIO interface (it seems that the PHY is not up, because im getting only 1's)
Reconfiguring the P2.12 to INPUT causes the PHY to boot and im getting valid data via the MDIO and im able to configure the Micrel, but - surely - getting no data via the MII interface.
Configuring the P2.12 back to OUT ALT1 after the PHY bootet somehow kills the PHY (not getting any valid data via MDIO anymore).
Configuring the P2.12 back to INPUT again causes the PHY to boot again and im able to receive valid data via da MDIO again... and so on.

I used an oscilloscope, when P2.12 is configured as OUT ALT1 the pin on the PHY connected to the XMC4500 is low - configured as IN the pin is high.

Hopefully anyone can help me with this issue - i would be very grateful
0 Likes
5 Replies
User15814
Level 1
Level 1
I have a Infineon XMC4500 cpu connected to a KSZ8863MLL (two port Ethernet switch) operating in MII mode.

We built some Boards - arround 50 are working but now im facing an isssue.

The board that does not work properly behaves as follows (testing using SWD)

When XMC4500 is in reset - KSZ8863MLL operates (network leds and activity leds active).

In the XMC4500's code setup, the XMC4500 pins are mapped into MII mode.

When XMC4500 pin P2.12 is set to MMI mode (Output ALT1) - the pin goes from a floating input (3.3v on scope) to GND as the pin becomes an output.

At the conclusion of executing THAT pin's related instruction - all LEDS on the KSZ8863MLL go out and the device becomes inactive.

Programming all other MMI related pins on the XMC4500 have expected results.

I have looked at the board under an inspection microscope and found no trace/solder issues.

I have scoped adjacent PCB traces to see if an internal PCB layer may have shorted traces (PCB is 4 layer) -- no change to adjacent traces found when pin goes from input to output.

I have placed a break point after the instruction to make sure other code was not executing and to isolate the KSZ8863MLL behavior to just that single instruction.

I've narrowed it to that single pin - going from input (pin at 3.3v) to output (pin a GND) that causes the KSZ8863MLL to stop operating.

I'm lost as were to look/proceed further. As stated earlier -- some other boards work perfectly which suggest the issue is related to parts/assembly of this specific board.

The KSZ8863MLL appears to be OK since it shows activity as long as the XMC4500 has not set that pin's mode to MMI.

The 3 other related TX pins (TX0, TX1, TX3) all go from 3.3v to GND when their mode is switched to MMI.

When i run the code and TXD2 is configured as Output ALT1 - The KSZ8863MLL does not operate - then i configure the TXD2 as INPUT (pin goes back to 3.3V) the KSZ8863MLL operates (but surely getting no data via the MMI), configuring the TXD2 back to Output ALT1 causes the KSZ8863MLL to stop operating again, and so on...
0 Likes
User15814
Level 1
Level 1
I measured VDD, Reset and TXD2 on a good and on a bad board, but couldn't find any differences.

3294.attach
0 Likes
User15814
Level 1
Level 1
Still working on this issue...
0 Likes
User20363
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

I'm connected MICREL KSZ8863RLL with XMC4700 in RMII mode.

I'm using EthernetLWIP app DAVE, I have configured 1 PHY device and updated KSZ driver, using the app and able to see the communication up on single port. But the KSZ8863 has 2 PHY interface support.

I tried changing PHY device id to see the same working on other port. It worked for PING and communication up.

One PHY device (one ETH port) at a time works fine with the configuration.

I would like to configure DAVE for two PHY's and make use of switch feature from KSZ8863. Can you suggest on how to configure or manual way of doing it to work with two PHY ports.

#no OS used, #DAVE, #KSZ8863, #lwip
Best regards,
Anand.
0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked
Hi Anand,

We can't configure two or more PHYs at the same time in Dave. So unfortunately this cannot be done using Dave Apps.

Best Regards,
Vasanth
0 Likes