Difference between MCE+MCU and only MCE in iMOTION technologies.

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User15854
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First reply posted
Hello, people.
I have been puzzeled in between IRMCK099M and IRMCF143 IC's from iMOTION technologies. I want to design a controller circuit ofr induction motor and I was reading about this two IC's.
It has been specified in both of data sheets that one is consist of only MCE and late with MCE and MCU. I am not understanding what difference does they contribute and exactly how do we use this
for our purpose to control the motor.

I am newbiw here, so please correct if I am worng anywhere in above and all your suggestion and answer are most welcome!
0 Likes
2 Replies
User12531
Level 1
Level 1
Let us have a quick look into the description paragraphs of their data sheets to see the difference.
IRMCK099M: IRMCK099 is a low cost, high performance OTP memory based motion control ASIC designed primarily for appliance applications. IRMCK099 is designed to implement high performance control solutions for advanced inverterized appliance motor control. IRMCK099 contains the flexible Tiny Motion Control Engine (TinyMCE) for sensorless control of permanent magnet motors over the full speed range. The TinyMCE implements sensorless Field Oriented Control using single or leg shunt current feedback by a combination of hardware and IR-supplied firmware elements. Key components of the complex sensorless control algorithms, such as the Angle Estimator, are provided as complete pre-defined control blocks. The ASIC is designed to eliminate external components and reduce cost by including an A/D converter, analog amplifiers, an overcurrent comparator, watchdog timer and internal oscillator. Strong startup and configuration tools get the motor running quickly without any programming.
IRMCF143: IRMCF143 is a high performance Flash based motion control IC designed primarily for position servo applications based on an incremental encoder. IRMCF143 is designed to achieve low cost yet high performance control solutions for advanced inverterized servo motor control. IRMCF143 contains two computation engines. One is the Flexible Motion Control Engine (MCE(TM)) for sinusoidal Field Oriented Control (FOC) of servo motors; the other is an 8-bit high-speed microcontroller (8051). Both computation engines are integrated into one monolithic chip. The MCE(TM) contains a collection of control elements implemented in a dedicated computation engine such as Proportional plus Integral, Vector rotator, Angle estimator, Multiply/Divide, and Low loss SVPWM. The user can program a motion control algorithm by connecting these control elements using a graphic compiler. A unique analog/digital circuit and algorithm to fully support two leg shunt current sensing is also provided. The 8051 microcontroller performs 2-cycle instruction execution (15MIPS at 30MHz 8051CLK). The MCE and 8051 microcontroller are connected via dual port RAM for signal monitoring and command input.

To suggest the right solution you will have to provide more information about your application and more about the induction motor specification (Wattage / Voltage / RPM).
Application Info here. Did you try the solution finder?
0 Likes
User15854
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First reply posted
Thank you for your response!
I read extensively about iMotion controllers and their applications. I found IRMCF171 to be applicable to for my application. As I went through us user manual is wriitern that we can simulate
and check our closed loop system in MATLAB/Simulink environment. But I am unable to find the MCE Compiler folder in my main directory of iMotion and also I am not finding the MCE library mentioned for
confurguration as mentioned in the pdf!!
I would like to do a simulation first to check the stability in virtual environment as my guide demand before going for any hardware application.
Response is expected as soon as possible.
Thank you.
0 Likes