PROBLEMS with the XMC4800 EtherCAT APP SSC Slave Example

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello at all,

I have two problems with the XMC4800 EtherCAT APP SSC Slave Example.

I use the following demo board: https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/product/evaluation-boards/kit_xmc48_relax_ecat_v1/
and following programs: DAVE 4.4.2 & SSC Tool 5.12 (registered with our company VendorID)

I have downloaded the slave example on the infineon page (https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/promopages/aim-mc/dave_downloads.html) and worked through everything as described in the example and in the pdf (https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-XMC4800_Relax_EtherCat_APP_Slave_SSC-GS-v01_03-EN.pdf?fileId=...).

Unfortunately, the steps on page 16 and 17 do not work as described. Weis there someone more???
Therefore, unfortunately I do not know if I did it right.

In the end, I always get the following error when creating the project.
3256.attach

I hope someone can help me.

Regards Patrick
0 Likes
4 Replies
MichaelIFX
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
Hi Patrick,
I'm wondering where the file el9800hw.h is coming from in your screenshot.
I guess you have missed to select "Infineon XMC EtherCAT Slave Sample" on step3 (should be slide 17) when generating slave stack code.

Kind Regards

Michael
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thank you! Now I have done it.

It is important in the image 1 on page 16 not manually as expected to change to Custom, but leave it at default, otherwise you load the wrong configuration from the beginning.
When you leave it default and import the Config FIle, the SSC select "Infineon XMC EtherCAT Slave Sample" autimatically and then it works.
If you take this into account, then he after also generates the correct source code and you can create the project without errors.

One should look less at the pictures and only do what the text says. 🙂

Regards Patrick
0 Likes
adrian_n
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted Welcome!

I have the exact same problem, and following Patrick's advice above did not work for me.

Details:

-DAVE v4.5.0

-SSC tool v5.12

-One thing to note is that the on slide 10 linked above, it calls out an example project named "XMC4800_Relax_EtherCat_APP_Slave_SSC". I could not find this project anywhere on the downloads website. So I downloaded a project called "ETHCAT_SSC_XMC48.zip" which seemed to be equivalent. The IO data on slide 14 looks identical, so I assumed that the project was just re-named from 2018 (original post date) to now (Sept 2022).

The problem I have is with the SSC tool. The following behavior happens:

-File -> New

-Radio button on Default, click on Import.

-Select Infineon_XMC_ECAT_SSC_Config.xml from the DAVE project SSC directory, click on Open.

-If this is the first time I've done this, the Custom button populates with "Infineon XMC EtherCAT hardware". If I use this it doesn't work.

-Instead, I select from the Custom menu "Infineon XMC EtherCAT Slave Sample" after the .xml import. This is the name referenced above in Patrick's post.

-When I click OK, it just leads me back to the Open File window to re-select the Infineon_XMC_ECAT_SSC_Config.xml file. If I select again, I get a message saying:
"Configuration Infineon XMC EtherCAT harware already exists.
Current 2.0.0.0
New 2.0.0.0
Overwrite existing?"
If I select Yes, I get a message "failed to create a new slave project"
If I select Cancel, I get the same message

-If this is the second time I'm trying it,  "Infineon XMC EtherCAT Slave Sample" is already populated in the Custom field, but trying this gets the same circular dependency of re-seelecting the .xml file, and the project failing to create.

-I also tried going into Tool -> Option -> Configurations and deleting the "Infineon XMC EtherCAT hardware" configuration. Same behavior as above when I go through the steps again.

-I also tried SSC tool v5.13, same behavior.

It seems to me the problem is the SSC tool cannot successfully import the .xml settings from the DAVE project. Does anyone have more detailed steps on how to get the import to work?

0 Likes
freetor
Level 1
Level 1
First like given 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hi,

I had the same problem. I could make a succesful build in DAVE IDE this way:

1) opened "Infineon_XMC_ECAT_SSC_Config.xml" in DAVE IDE by double clicking it

2) went through all elements in the xml file. You will notice that the element names in the xml file correspond with element names in the SSC Slave Project Navigation Tree

3) manually entered each configuration setting from the xml file in SSC Slave Project Navigation Tree

It seems not all xml elements have an associated SSC Slave Project Navigation Tree element! I just skipped those ones...

0 Likes