Headless Build / Commandline Build / Build Automation

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User10538
Level 3
Level 3
Hi, I'm trying to set up an automated build of a DAVE project.

Is there a way to do a build from command line with DAVE?
Or alternatively a way to auto generate the makefiles?

I tried
DAVE.exe -nosplash -data "C:\Workspaces\DAVE-4.4.2-64Bit" -cleanBuild "/Release" (starts DAVE but then does nothing)

DAVE.exe -nosplash -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data "C:\Workspaces\DAVE-4.4.2-64Bit" -cleanBuild "/Release" // crashes with java out of memory

Thanks,
Andy
0 Likes
11 Replies
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

If you open a command line window in the Debug folder and the make program is in your path, you can just type make to build the project without starting DAVE4.

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
User10538
Level 3
Level 3
Hi,
Thx for he quick reply.

I did it this way already – the problem is, when someone adds files or folders just in submodules, these will then be missing in the build.

A working way over DAVE is needed because then the makefiles are auto generated there to be correct and include the latest changes.
0 Likes
jferreira
Employee
Employee
Hi,

You need to add the files using DAVE (eclipse, managed make) itself, so that the makefiles are updated. This needs only to be done once.
There is no an automatic way beside writing your own Makefile with your own rules in which i.e. all *.c files in a folder will be regarded as part of the compilation.

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
User8620
Level 2
Level 2
Can you please add an option for automatic builds via CLI to Dave?

Continous integration is an important topic nowadays.
We need to be able to build a Dave project on a remote server.
Other IDEs by other companies already support this.
0 Likes
User16468
Level 1
Level 1
jferreira wrote:
Hi,

If you open a command line window in the Debug folder and the make program is in your path, you can just type make to build the project without starting DAVE4.

Regards,
Jesus

Hi,
I tried this on a Dave 4.4.2 (Release folder) and this ends with an error
"make: echo.: Command not found"
echo command on the prompt works with no problem.. any ideas/ work arounds?

Thanks,
Anoop
0 Likes
jferreira
Employee
Employee
Hi,

You can try at the command line the following
\eclipse\DAVE.exe -nosplash -no-indexer -consoleLog -debug -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data  -cleanBuild "/"

where you need to specify the DAVE installation path, workspace path, project name and build configuration, i.e. Debug or Release

To make the above to work you need to edit the DAVE.ini file and remove the line –showlocation option.

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
User8620
Level 2
Level 2

\eclipse\DAVE.exe -nosplash -no-indexer -consoleLog -debug -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data -cleanBuild "/"

where you need to specify the DAVE installation path, workspace path, project name and build configuration, i.e. Debug or Release

this works with Dave 4.4.2
0 Likes
User16372
Level 1
Level 1
hello,
I am also very interested in CI for manufacturing and testing. Is there a way as well to install DAVE 4 from command line. Also is it possible to be installed in windows 10 docker image as we have a supplier that already supplies CI with windows docker images

Thanks in advance
0 Likes
jferreira
Employee
Employee
Hi,

DAVE4 installation is just a matter of unzipping a file.

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
User16372
Level 1
Level 1
jferreira wrote:
Hi,

DAVE4 installation is just a matter of unzipping a file.

Regards,
Jesus

XD Somes times is too obvious. Thank you for the support 🙂
0 Likes
User19893
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

I followed the instructions given in this thread to be able to build a DAVE project without actually using he DAVE UI.
I am running DAVE 4.4.2 on a Laptop with Windows 10 Pro installed.

Following the instructions i deleted the "-showlocations" and the executed the given command in an administrator commandline window.
None of the path used have blanks in them.

Unfortunately I get several error messages in the window which opens up after executing the command:

Loading extensions: reference:file: org.eclipse.osgi.compatibility.state_1.0.200.v20160504-1419.jar
eclipse.properties not found
Loading extensions: reference:file: org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.nashorn.extension_1.0.2.v201610280128.jar
Loading extensions: reference:file: org.eclipse.fx.osgi_2.4.0.201605100504.jar
Debug options:
file:/C:/DAVE/eclipse/.options not found

I assume that the errors mentioned above can be overlooked because the program continues until the last and fatal error which is:

Project/Configuration Regular Expression Syntax error: java.util.regex.PatternsSyntaxExpection: Illegal/unsupported escape sequence near index 3

I tried this with other projects and also with a XMC example project. I always get similar errors only the index number given changes to index 31.

I wanted to ask if this is a known error or if I am missing any DAVE files.

Regards,
Andreas
0 Likes