infineon@google+ Google+

infineon@linkedin linkedin

infineon4engi@twitter twitter

infineon@youtube youtube

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can not flash new XMC1302 on custom board

New Member New Member XtalJack is on a distinguished road

Can not flash new XMC1302 on custom board

Hello, I am not able to flash my XMC1302 on my custom board, I'm getting "Could not connect to target. Please check power, connection and settings.". It works perfectly fine with the XMC1300 boot kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jflash-error.PNG
Views:	0
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	3536

My setup:

- Software: DAVE 4.4.2 and J-Flash V6.32d , works fine with the boot kit with the same MCU and pin config.
    - Hardware: SEGGER J-Link Lite-XMC4200 V1.00 (the J-Link board that comes with the boot kit). Firmware 2017 Apr 5.
    - MCU: XMC1302T038X0200ABXUMA1.
    - IC package: TSSOP-38.

What I have done to debug:

- Reviewed my design over and over with different methods. Everything from pins, footprints, connections etc.
    - I have soldered the IC with different solder with different temperatures. In my last attempt I went with non-lead-free solder and 245 degrees C.
    - I have checked every pin so that there's no short-circuits or open connections (except for the ones that should be there).
    - I have "reverse-engineered" the boot kit to make sure that I use the exact same setup, connections, components etc. I looked in the schematics as well as checking with a multimeter.
    - I haven't touched the IC with my hands and I'm very careful with handling it.
    - I have 4 boards that should work but all of them have the same problem.
    - I checked the documentation to see how the BMI headers are configured for new ICs and learned that the default setup is like the one in the boot kit.
    - I have verified multiple times that the programmer has the correct connection to the debug (J4) header connector and that it is the same as for the boot kit.
    - I have checked the voltage which is 3.3 V.
    - The SWD (P0.14) pin gets pulled-up which means that the SSW is executing.

Boot kit:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/prod...mc13_boot_001/

The design:

The design is just like the boot kit but with connections for sensors and some more stuff. I haven't soldered anything of that yet so the only connections that aren't left open is the power pins and programming pins.

Name:	schematic-xmc1302.PNG
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	3534

Name:	schematic-xmc1302_debug.PNG
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	3535

Any ideas on how I could solve this or debug this further?
    Last edited by XtalJack; Jul 14th, 2018 at 03:43 PM.

Update:

I treated the IC on the boot kit the same way as the new IC I soldered on my board:

- I removed the solder.
    - I created bridges and then fixed them.
    - I put on new solder.
    - I cleaned it as usual.
    - Repeated the above over and over again.

The result, it is still working properly, like before.

I also removed the IC from the boot kit completely and carefully soldered on my own. Now the boot kit has the same problem as my custom boards.

Conclusion:

The soldering and the design is not the problem. The problem is one of the below:

- The flashing needs to be done differently.
    - The ICs are broken in some way.

Update:

I finally solved it by using the Memtool program provided by Infineon. Appearently, I got it completely wrong when it comes to which bootloader mode the IC gets delivered in. The IC needs to be flashed the first time using UART, and that's where Memtool comes in.

+ Reply to Thread