BTS7960 Capacitor Blown

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello guys,

I got a H Bridge BTS7960 to use as a motor driver on a project. When testing it with my 12V 800W DC motor and a Arduino, the capacitor on the bridge blew up even though the current measured was still around 31A.

As the datasheet shows, the bridge has a overvoltage, overcurrent, and overtemperature protection, i couldn`t understand why did the capacitor explode. Can you guys help me?

I was using a wii controler to control the voltage on the motor using PWM via Arduino, and when testing the motor worked for about 10 seconds and once it stopped the capacitor blew. Maybe something about harmonics?

Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
1 Reply
JingN
First like received First solution authored 25 replies posted
NovalithIC doesn't fit your application well. Due to the thermal limitation of the package we don't recommend to use the device for 800W applications.

Our protection features only protect NovalithIC itself, and won't protect the DC link cap. E.g. If the cap is charged/discharged very fast with a large current, it might be destroyed. Please check the datasheet of the capacitor and find a proper one for your application.
0 Likes