FAQ for integrated voltage regulators (VDDP, VDDEXT, VDDC)

Announcements

Webinar: Integrated solutions for smaller, simpler low-voltage motor control design.
Join the webinar to experience!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User15216
Level 2
Level 2
VDDEXT is a 5V LDO in the device which is able to supply external loads(e.g. Sensors) . It can be activated and deactivated by the software.
0 Likes
11 Replies
User15216
Level 2
Level 2
VDDEXT is designed to be used off-board of the ECU. However, VDDEXT is not protected against high voltages (e.g. caused by a short circuit to the battery supply voltage).
The TLE986x and TLE987x device families also offer an internal protection against overcurrent.
0 Likes
User15216
Level 2
Level 2
For the TLE987x device family, there are internal overload, overvoltage, undervoltage and overcurrent detectors. If enabled, all of them will trigger an interruption in case of such a detection. Similar detectors also exists for other device families.
0 Likes
User15216
Level 2
Level 2
Yes. If VDDEXT is externally connected to the VAREF pin, it is important to deactivate the internal 5V-Varef LDO, before activating VDDEXT. Otherwise 2 LDOs will try to supply each other, which will cause malfunction.
0 Likes
User15216
Level 2
Level 2
We strongly recommend, NOT to use VDDC for other loads or components.
0 Likes
User15216
Level 2
Level 2
The VDDC is the internal core voltage. The integrated VDDC LDO requires an external buffer cap.
0 Likes
User15216
Level 2
Level 2
The VDDP is the internal pad supply, it is used to supply the GPIOs, ADC1 and other 5V related modules inside the device. The integrated VDDP LDO requires an external buffer cap.
0 Likes
User15216
Level 2
Level 2
In principle possible, but it is recommend to use VDDEXT instead. VDDP is usually used to supply an external ISP (debugger), in case of debugging the software or downloading code.
0 Likes
User15216
Level 2
Level 2
In principle possible, but it is recommend to use VDDEXT instead. VDDP is usually used to supply an external ISP (debugger), in case of debugging the software or downloading code.
0 Likes
Mc-Key
Employee
Employee
Welcome!
This thread is a collection of voltage regulator related questions.
0 Likes
User16615
Level 1
Level 1
I am trying to activate VDDEXT but I cannot. Can you show me where to activate it? Please see the picture attached. Is it correct?

4457.attach

Thank you Eugene
0 Likes
User16615
Level 1
Level 1
From the IFXConfigWizard --> PMU --> VDDEXT --> Click the Turn on. I tried this and it work.

Thanks.
0 Likes