infineon4engineers Facebook

infineon@google+ Google+

infineon@linkedin linkedin

infineon4engi@twitter twitter

infineon@youtube youtube

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FAQ for integrated voltage regulators (VDDP, VDDEXT, VDDC)

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    epc will become famous soon enough

What is the typical use case for VDDEXT?

VDDEXT is a 5V LDO in the device which is able to supply external loads(e.g. Sensors) . It can be activated and deactivated by the software.
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

Do I have to protect VDDEXT externally?

VDDEXT is designed to be used off-board of the ECU. However, VDDEXT is not protected against high voltages (e.g. caused by a short circuit to the battery supply voltage).
    The TLE986x and TLE987x device families also offer an internal protection against overcurrent.
    Last edited by pestadieu; Jun 18th, 2019 at 06:22 AM.
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

Is VDDEXT internally protected?

For the TLE987x device family, there are internal overload, overvoltage, undervoltage and overcurrent detectors. If enabled, all of them will trigger an interruption in case of such a detection. Similar detectors also exists for other device families.
    Last edited by pestadieu; Jun 18th, 2019 at 06:23 AM.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

Can I use VDDEXT as the ADC reference voltage?

Yes. If VDDEXT is externally connected to the VAREF pin, it is important to deactivate the internal 5V-Varef LDO, before activating VDDEXT. Otherwise 2 LDOs will try to supply each other, which will cause malfunction.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

Can I use the generated voltage on the VDDC pin outside the product?

We strongly recommend, NOT to use VDDC for other loads or components.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

What is the need of the VDDC pin?

The VDDC is the internal core voltage. The integrated VDDC LDO requires an external buffer cap.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

What is the need of VDDP?

The VDDP is the internal pad supply, it is used to supply the GPIOs, ADC1 and other 5V related modules inside the device. The integrated VDDP LDO requires an external buffer cap.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

Can I use the VDDP generated voltage outside the product?

In principle possible, but it is recommend to use VDDEXT instead. VDDP is usually used to supply an external ISP (debugger), in case of debugging the software or downloading code.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee

Can I use the VDDP generated voltage outside the ECU?

In principle possible, but it is recommend to use VDDEXT instead. VDDP is usually used to supply an external ISP (debugger), in case of debugging the software or downloading code.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Mc-Key will become famous soon enough

FAQ for integrated voltage regulators (VDDP, VDDEXT, VDDC)

This thread is a collection of voltage regulator related questions.

+ Reply to Thread
Disclaimer

All content and materials on this site are provided “as is“. Infineon makes no warranties or representations with regard to this content and these materials of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, whether express or implied, is granted by Infineon. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from Infineon.

Infineon accepts no liability for the content and materials on this site being accurate, complete or up- to-date or for the contents of external links. Infineon distances itself expressly from the contents of the linked pages, over the structure of which Infineon has no control.

Content on this site may contain or be subject to specific guidelines or limitations on use. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Usage Terms of the site; third parties using this content agree to abide by any limitations or guidelines and to comply with the Usage Terms of this site. Infineon reserves the right to make corrections, deletions, modifications, enhancements, improvements and other changes to the content and materials, its products, programs and services at any time or to move or discontinue any content, products, programs, or services without notice.