ECAT Adding Process Data to XMC_ESC.xlsx fails to go to PREOP state

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User15064
Level 1
Level 1
All of the EtherCAT examples from Infineon have the same input and output data defined in the XMC_ESC.xlsx file.

As long as the XMC_ESC.xlsx is not modified everything goes well. The Beckhoff SSC utility generates code and the DAVE4 project compiles okay and the ECAT slave works as expected. TwinCAT is able to set the ECAT slave to the OP state and read/write the process data.

But when the XMC_ESC.xlsx file is modified to add any new elements to the input or output process data - as shown here:

3120.attach

Then TwinCAT reports an error changing the ECAT slave to the PREOP state. TwinCAT shows "ERR PREOP":

3121.attach

I'm at a loss for what is wrong. It looks like the SSC utility generates all the necessary code under SSC/Src. Is there something else that needs to be done to modify the process data?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
0 Likes
5 Replies
User15064
Level 1
Level 1
The XMC_ESC.xml file needed to be copied to the C:\TwinCAT\3.1\Config\Io\EtherCAT directory.
0 Likes
User17111
Level 1
Level 1
Impotant to do that (from file https://download.beckhoff.com/download/Document/io/ethercat-development-products/ethercat_slave_desi...)

16. Copy the ESI file to the TwinCAT ESI folder (e.g. TwinCAT 2.11 :
“c:\Twincat\Io\Ethercat\”)
17. Create a TwinCAT configuration [2] .
!!!! 18. Scan slave, update EEPROM of slave, delete slave, re-scan network with new
slave

after the implementation of paragraph 18 device set to OP mode successful
0 Likes
User18526
Level 2
Level 2
Hello, seeing the same thing happened to you, I want to add more variables (this two:IN_GEN_INT5 and OUT_GEN_INT5) in the excel sheet: XMC_ESC.xlsx
However, it doesn't work for me.
I do:
1-I modify Excel:XMC_ESC.xlsx adding IN_GEN_INT5 and OUT_GEN_INT5
2-I do the steps of the ETHERCAT example in the SSC (until I create the SSC files).
3-I copy de XMC_ESC.xml file in C:\TwinCAT\3.1\Config\Io\EtherCAT directory.
4-I rebuild active project in DAVE.
5-I debug in tarjet and play button.
5- In TwinCAT 3.1, I add EtherCAT Master and Scan.
Box 1 appears, but I cannot turn the buttons on and off as in the example.
I'm very urgent.
You would be so kind as to lend me a hand.
Thank you very much for everything beforehand.
0 Likes
User15738
Level 1
Level 1
Is the new process data listed in the TwinCAT configuration?
If it is not the case you have to reload the ESI cache (TwinCAT -> EtherCAT Devices -> Reload Device Descriptions), remove the slave and scan the network again.
If it is the case, is the slave in OP?
0 Likes
User18526
Level 2
Level 2
Hi RainerHoffmann, I have done your steps. But it does not work. I don't know what happens in TwinCAT. You have the xml with the new data in:
C TwinCAT 3.1 EtherCAT Io Config
And after doing what you told me, the new entries and exits do not appear to me. However, one day I did get a TwinCAT Project to appear. But now the new ones do not appear, do you know if there is any redirection as a path in the TwinCAT configuration?
Thank you very much for everything beforehand.
Greetings.
0 Likes