BUG: binary image for flashing with missing bytes

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User14172
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored First like received
I discovered an issue, while creating a binary image to flash on the xmc4800 with my runtime software in it.

DAVE generates a binary image with missing bites

It is certainly a bug, we added the missing bytes (highlighted), after checking for them while debugging.
Adding those, the CPU will boot, while without them it isn't working at all.
Is there a way to avoid this? Is it known?

3060.attach
0 Likes
3 Replies
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

The binary file is generated from the elf file using the command: arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O binary
I cannot reproduce your observation, I have compared the hex file output and the binary.

What is the purpose of the bytes you added in your program? Could you also check the output of the hex file?

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
User14172
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored First like received
jferreira wrote:
Hi,

The binary file is generated from the elf file using the command: arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O binary
I cannot reproduce your observation, I have compared the hex file output and the binary.

What is the purpose of the bytes you added in your program? Could you also check the output of the hex file?

Regards,
Jesus

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
When I download the elf file with the emulator and i compare the image with what i have in memory (loaded by the emulator) I find this few bytes at the end of the used memory.
And of course it works. I have in my application a programmer with which I can download and program the Flash, and it does not start after. When I download the binary and before I added the "missing bytes" everything is ok.
The program starts on Flash. I have also compare procedure and downloading the image in another memory zone and I do a Compare, the only differences are these few bytes.
It seems to me a bug ??
0 Likes
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

As I said, we cannot reproduce your issue. In our case the bin file matches the contents of the hex file and elf file.
The bytes you mention that you need to add at the end of the binary image looks like addresses:
08002f10
1ffe880c

What do these addresses represent? Should this addresses values initialize some RAM variables or used by bootloader?
Could you share the elf file showing the issue?

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes