Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hallo Everyone,

it may sound like a daft question, but have any of you managed to program the BMI register (XMC1000 device) using a debugger/flasher tool?

I've tried the following, but none will work:

1. DAVE Sofware + Segger JLink

2. XMCFlasher + XMC Link tool

3. J-Flash Lite + Segger JLink

4. Memtool + JLink

The XMC board is working ok, as I am able to download the firmware and debug it (ie. the BMI-register is reprogrammed by DAVE+Jlink to "User-mode Debug").

Is there a programmer that uses the RS232? ie. the default unprogrammed BMI-value is ASC-mode.

Would be great if anyone can help out. Thanks.

kfw
0 Likes
7 Replies
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

You should be able using XMC Flasher or Memtool together with the on board debugger.
Do you get any error?

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hello Jesus,

I've managed to program a "virgin" device using the following tools

1. XMC-Flasher software
2. Segger JLink V6.30j software
3. XMC Link hardware

The software allows me to program an "unprogrammed" device only once. After it has been programmed then I cannot reprogram it again (even though a connection can still be made).
The only way to reprogram it is to use the DAVE IDE sofware with JLink Debugger.

I noticed that after programming, the unique chip ID number has changed from "200004......" to "AAAAAAAA.....AAA", when reconnecting with the XMC-Flasher software.

Do you know why the XMC-Flasher software only allows a device to be programmed once, even though DAVE IDE allows it to be re-programmed?

Thanks in advance,

Kfw
0 Likes
User11996
Level 3
Level 3
Hi kfw.

Did you change the BMI value to User productive mode (0xF8C1) ?

That's one reason.

The new Segger JLink V6.30j software doesn't work on my new devices, because the ASC sequence is still not working ( P0.14 is hold down bevore the halve duplex sequence).
So i wonder how you can program a new device with the JLink software.....
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi xmcuser17,

the BMI-value is automatically changed by JLink/XMC-Link from ASC_BSL to SWD0 mode - see https://wiki.segger.com/XMC1000 for more details.

This is one of the main problems dealing with this microprocessor - the tools and software do "hidden" things in the background, that take ages to figure out due to poor documentation.

Anyway, the BMI-vlaue is changed to User-mode (debug), even though no hex file has been downloaded into the flash - see screenshot below.

The question is, why is a second download not possible with the same setup? (XMC-Flasher/JLink software and XMC-Link hardware).

It appears that after programming the hex file and performing a power-cyle, the firmware start executing as expected and communication with the above setup is no longer possible.
But why? With DAVE IDE and JLink reprogramming is possible!

Best regards,

Kfw3074.attach
0 Likes
Not applicable
Just an idea:

maybe the XMC-Flasher/JLink Software tries to perform the "ASC_BSL to SWD0 mode" sequence, but fails to recognise that the XMC-Micro has already been programmed and is in SWD0 mode and gives up?
Whereby DAVE IDE+JLink recognises that SWD0 mode is active and proceeds as normal?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Just one more question: how are DAVE IDE+Jlink able to reprogram a device when the firmware is active and running? How can they interrupt the firmware in order to peform a new download?
JLink is only connected to the P0.14 & P0.15 pins, so is there a particular sequence that is performed???? If so, then apparently XMC-Flasher is not performing this sequence????
0 Likes
ipek
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked
xmcuser17 wrote:
Hi kfw.

Did you change the BMI value to User productive mode (0xF8C1) ?

That's one reason.

The new Segger JLink V6.30j software doesn't work on my new devices, because the ASC sequence is still not working ( P0.14 is hold down bevore the halve duplex sequence).
So i wonder how you can program a new device with the JLink software.....

Did you try to add a pull-up resostance to P.0.14? I had the same issue and adding a 10k res solved it.
0 Likes