[SOLVED] Infineon TLE9879 Eval Kit Bridge short problem

Announcements

Webinar: Integrated solutions for smaller, simpler low-voltage motor control design.
Join the webinar to experience!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Not applicable
Dear all,
Any one has experienced the TLE9879 Eval kit Bridge drive short problem?

I am not able to switch on the BRIDGE DRIVE(BRDV) because it shoes Bridge drive is short and Low voltage at VCP.
Please share your experience with TLE9879 .And if someone experienced how to debug this drive short problem please tell me.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Mc-Key
Employee
Employee
Welcome!
Dear Litun,

There can be several reasons, that may cause your issue.

Can you please share, which Evalkit revision you use.

For revision 1.2, there is a new user manual released on the product website.
Go to:
Navigate to Boards -> TLE9879 Evalkit -> Documents -> User Manual

Have a look in the Errata section and apply the fix proposal. Do you VDDEXT for additional hardware?

Here are some additional hints:

1) Did you check your MOSFETs? Measure: (Drain-Source, Gate-Source, Gate-Drain) Are there any shorts?

2) Check Voltage on VCP: When VCP is enabled it should typically be 14V higher than your supply voltage.

3) Clear Interrupt Status Flags:
The interrupt status flags of BDRV-Module are located in: SCUPM->BDRV_IS.reg (TLE9879 User Manual rev1.3 Page: 195)
The interrupt status clear flags are located in: SCUPM->BDRV_ISCLR.reg (TLE9879 User Manual rev1.3 Page: 198)

4) Driving high load motors will cause voltage spikes on your 12V supply.
Most of the voltage sources are not able to sink enough current.
If the voltage rises higher than the absolute maximum ratings, the chip will be damaged.

I hope you will solve your issue soon.

Best Regards
M.K.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks God. Someone is there who answers in the forum. I has lost all hope from this Forum. Thanks M.K. for answering.
After so many days I checked the forum and I am answering right now.
I have checked the Errata section in the user manual.
And I had already found out
9.2 Jumper (JP6) not connected to VDDP And I did the work around.
9.1 Short of internal layer 2 and Jumper (JP4). But i have nothing to do with as I am not using VDDEXT.

I have 2 nos of TLE9879 Eval Kit .But my problem remains at BRDV is not switching On in both Boards.

1) We have checked the MOSFETs & Measured: (Drain-Source, Gate-Source, Gate-Drain) there are no shorts. (100% sure)
2) For Board No. 1, VCP is low(5V) and Board No. 2, VCP is OK.(>12V)
3) Clear Interrupt Status Flags: Did SCUPM->BDRV_ISCLR.reg (TLE9879 User Manual rev1.3 Page: 198) (Screenshot attached for Board No. 1 )
2953.attach

Board No 1 shows supply error.
And for Board No. 2, doesn't show any error. But when I switch on the bridge drive(Brdv_Set_Bridge(xx,xx,xx,xx,xx,xx)) all MOSFET show over current error HSx/LSx_OC_STS=1. and driver shuts down.(I will provide the screenshot when available).

4) I am not sure. But i am able to program both of the boards all peripherals(GPIO, ADC, PWM, UART etc.) except BRDV.

Reg
sourav
0 Likes
Mc-Key
Employee
Employee
Welcome!
Hello Litun,

What voltage do you use for power supply?

The supply voltage for the Evalboard should be around 12V.
At least it has to be >6V on VBAT connection.
It seems to me, that your board supply voltage is to low.

There is an internal diode between VSD (Chargepump supply input pin) and VCP (Chargepump output voltage pin).
Even when the Chargepump is disabled, VCP should be almost on voltage supply level
(VSD = 12V --> VCP ~11V )

In addition, you can check resistor R4 on the Evalkit. It should have a value of 2 Ohms.
This is the VSD pre-resistor.
During evaluation phases it may gets damaged by accidential short circuits or voltage overshoots from the MOSFET bridge.
If this is the case, your VSD voltage will drop after activating the Chargepump.

Best Regards,
M.K.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Dear M.K,
The supply voltage at which board runs is recommended 12V DC. So board supply voltage is ok.

Thanks for the Info about R4(2 Ohms). It was defective on my board no 1. I replaced it. After that also there is no luck.
Back to https://www.infineonforums.com/threads/5623-TLE9879-Eval-Kit-Bridge-drive-Not-Functioning

Hope you can provide me with a suitable solution.

Reg
S
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Mc-Key
Employee
Employee
Welcome!
Hi,
I created an example project, which generates PWM Signals on all three Bridgedriver phases.

Here is a scopeshot, measuring the phase nodes:

2971.attach

Channel1 (blue): SH1
Channel2 (red): SH2
Channel3 (green): SH3

Please, feel free to use it.

Best Regards,
M.K.
0 Likes