Can't find how to do sensored FOC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User13948
Level 2
Level 2
First like received
Hello,

We are evaluating XMC4000 for an encoder sensored motor drive. We need some information about the PMSM_FOC_EXAMPLE_XMC44 Dave code.

- Is this example intended for production use, or is it only for test/demonstration?
There seems to be little documents about its working and we have no idea on how to probe the internal of the FOC_Controller_LIB function, in case something goes wrong.

- A resolver position feedback is mentioned in some documents. Is there an example for a drive using it?

- As I mentioned we don't need sensorless estimators, VF control and the like. Should we assume we have to write our own code using only CMSIS libraries? Other suppliers provide an easier approach.

Thank you.

Alberto
0 Likes
2 Replies
Eric1
Employee
Employee
Hello Alberto,

APPs are not productive code.
They can support you in the first steps or very close to your final application.
But this depends on your target application.

The benefit of APPs is an easy graphical configuration and the combination of many APPs.
And you still have access to the code (Dave/Generated...)
Every APP has a help file where you can find further information.

Additionally to the PMSM_FOC APP we provide an example code for the XMC1300 Motor Control Kit without APPs.

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/productType.html?productType=db3a30443ba77cfd013baec9ca5c0ca...
The Application Note: AP32370 - XMC1000 - PMSM FOC motor control software using XMC
Explains the usage.

-----------------------

To feed in the angle you have to overwrite the FOCInput->RotorAngleQ31 beforeFOC_Controller_LIB (HandlePtr);
The speed is calculated from the sensor less angle and should be updated with the encoder speed by writing FOCInput->RotorSpeed_In.

Regards
Eric
0 Likes
User13948
Level 2
Level 2
First like received
Thank you Eric,

I will give it a try. I still miss the point of providing a very complex, non modular FOC_Controller_LIB.
I think that most would prefer some basic, not particularly optimized building blocks.
I'm starting to test the Ethercat peripheral, I hope things are better there.

Regards and thanks again.

Alberto
0 Likes