ATTENTION: Update your SEGGER JLink version to latest version (V6.20a as of today)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MichaelIFX
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
I have learned older SEGGER versions have problems to erase flash (timeouts) before downloading the binary.
This is especially true if your binary is bigger >256K.

You will see strange traps/behaviour without being further noticed after downloading the binary.

https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink

Once the new version is installed, in the DAVE preferences, Window>Preferences (see below), update the version as below
2552.attach
0 Likes
4 Replies
Not applicable
BE CAREFUL If you update Segger JLink version to 6.20e

The difference is in the 'e' revision letter at the end.

It seems that Segger guys have changed the location of JLink_x64.dll used by DAVE to communicate with target using JLink. This causes that DAVE could not find the dll file, rendering the debugger non functional at all.

In previous versions the dll was located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink_VXXXr\bin_x64", where XXXr represents the version and revision of Segger JLink software. While the new revision has moved the dll one directory up to "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink_VXXXr".
I guess that DAVE used the folder in the preferences window, after adding "\bin_x64" to its value, to try and find the dll. But obviously this has stopped working now.

The solution is, besides implementing the changes in the preferences recommended in the previous post, is to create a folder named "bin_x64" inside ""C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink_V620e" and put a copy of JLink_x64.dll into it. After that everything starts working again.

Don't forget to restart DAVE when you change the preferences so variables can be re-evaluated, as it says in the preferences window itself.

So thank you Segger guys to make me lose a full afternoon pursuing this.:(

I expect this saves someone else's time and frustration.
0 Likes
User8095
Level 2
Level 2
Hello,
if you use the J-Link EDU chances are good that after updating the EDU doesn't work anymore. Our EDU is dead.
Seggers answer was condescendingly. (.... obviously the Unit is broken...) What a incredible wisdom in this answer. This obviouly was the reason why we contacted Segger.
Marc
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi ,
Is this relevant for the "XMC Link" ?
Regards,
0 Likes
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

We have not experienced any issue with XMC Link or the on board debuggers in our development kits.
We still strong recommend always to keep the JLink software up to date.

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes