Problems with FIFO/Gateway on XMCs 4400 Multican

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello,

we built up a gateway with an XMC 4400 between Can Node 0 and 1.
Gateway is in both directions, all messages from Node 0 to Node 1 and from Node 1 to Node 0.
Therefor we have on RX MO on Node 0 and a TX FiFo with 30 MOs on Node 1.
Same the other way round.

Our Code:
Node 1 Rx MO:
/* Message 33 Configuration - Receive */
XMC_CAN_MO_Config(&message33_rx_n1);
XMC_CAN_GATEWAY_InitSourceObject(&message33_rx_n1,
( (XMC_CAN_GATEWAY_CONFIG_t) {
true,
true,
true,
true
}));

Node 0 Transmit fifo
/*Message 2 Transmit*/
/*Base Objects*/
XMC_CAN_MO_Config(&message2_31_tx_gw_n0);
XMC_CAN_TXFIFO_ConfigMOBaseObject(&message2_31_tx_gw_n0,((XMC_CAN_FIFO_CONFIG_t){2,31,2}));
XMC_CAN_GATEWAY_InitDesObject(&message2_31_tx_gw_n0);
/*Slave Objects*/
for ( i = 3; i <= 31; i++ ) {
message2_31_tx_gw_n0.can_mo_ptr += ( CAN_MO3 - CAN_MO2);
XMC_CAN_MO_Config(&message2_31_tx_gw_n0);
XMC_CAN_TXFIFO_ConfigMOSlaveObject(&message2_31_tx_gw_n0,((XMC_CAN_FIFO_CONFIG_t){2,31,2}));
XMC_CAN_GATEWAY_InitDesObject(&message2_31_tx_gw_n0);
}

Gateway is working fine, if both can busses are okay.

BUT if we have a temorary disconnection on on bus, the Gatewas/FiFo is struggeling,
means messages are no more forwarded any more at once, but at different times.

Example:
On Node 0 we have periodig can message which are gatewayed to node 1.
Everything works.
Now we disconnect the Can bus on node 1, can bus on node 0 is still working.
After a while we reconnect can node 1 bus.
The effect is now, that some forwarded messages are not forwarded directly,
but later up to 2 seconds.
That does mean that the ordering of the messages is different on Node 1 than on Node 0.
This is terrible for our application.
We tried to reset the messagecounters for the Fifo, TX request flags, and any other
flag without any final result.

Does anyone have an Idea what to do ?

Regards
0 Likes
3 Replies
User6793
Level 4
Level 4
We also have this problem with our gateway (HW-mode). When the RX-fifo on the gateway goes full we se exactly the same symptoms. Messages are lost, delayed up to 2s or actually swapping place in the Q.

Would be nice if someone from Infineon could chime in on this. @travis?
0 Likes
User14251
Level 1
Level 1
I have the same problems on a XMC 1404. After a short bus failure the gateway doesn't work correct. My workaround was to use a standard message object instead of a TX-FIFO and it works fine without any message losts. But i have a very low bus load (<10%).
0 Likes
SunYajun
Employee
Employee
10 replies posted 5 replies posted Welcome!
By using gateway with FIFO (RxMO an gateway source side, TxFIFO MOs an gateway destination side) two pointers must be initialized
- pointer (defined via MOFCR register in the RxMO) for gateway feature
- pointer (defined via MOFCR register in the TxFIFO base object )
both pointers are working independently during CAN operation, i.e. the pointer of RxMO on the source side updates each time when CAN frame has been received, while the pointer of TxFIFO base object updates when CAN frame has been transmitted successfully on the destination CAN bus.

here is the ‘HW gateway feature’ has been initialized. that means ‘TxRQ is set’ in the gateway destination object automatically.
in case when the destination CAN node is disconnected or bus error/high load occurs the destination side, TxFIFO elements will be reloaded with new received CAN frames, but the pointer is not updated due to bus error. it may happen that you get an TxMO.MSGLST status but no FIFO overflow interrupt.
when you connect the CAN destination CAN node again, a new CAN frame may be sent out before old CAN frames on the destination bus, also a corrupted transmission sequence.
the max. configurable TxFIFO is limited due to total MSG objects (see please the data sheet or user’s manual) therefore it is to recommended to use ‘SW controlled gateway feature’ in order to avoid this problem.

here is an example code, please try it and contact us for further information and forward your feedback
- disable ‘automatical TxRQ set’ in the gateway source object
XMC_CAN_GATEWAY_InitSourceObject(&message33_rx_n1,
( (XMC_CAN_GATEWAY_CONFIG_t) {
true, false (true=>HW controlled gateway; false=> SW controlled gateway)
true,
true,
true
}));
- enable RxOK interrupt for all TxFIFO message objects (base object und all slave objects: MO2..MO31) and assigned to the same interrupt line
- in the Interrupt service routine set TxRQ
void CAN_viSRN8(void) interrupt CAN_SRN8INT
{
ubBaseTxFIFOCUR= (ubyte) (CAN_HWOBJ[2].uwMOFGPRH & 0x00FF); // MO2 is the TxFIFO base, get CUR of TxFIFO

if (CAN_HWOBJ[ubBaseTxFIFOCUR].uwMOCTRL & 0x0010) // if the TxFIFO CUR pointered MO has MSGLST==1
CAN_HWOBJ[ubBaseTxFIFOCUR].uwMOCTRL = 0x0010; // reset MSGLST of this TxFIFO MO
else
CAN_HWOBJ[ubBaseTxFIFOCUR].uwMOCTRH = 0x0100; // set TxRQ in this TxFIFO MO
}
0 Likes