Connect to running system

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Andi_H
Employee
Employee
First solution authored First like received
Hey guys,

we are using the xmc4500 relax kit with on board debugger. How it is possible to connect to an running sytsem WITHOUT an soft reset?

We are using the following debug settings:

2779.attach
2780.attach

are there any other settings necessary?

Thanks and best regards

Andi
0 Likes
4 Replies
Andi_H
Employee
Employee
First solution authored First like received
Problem solved:

you have to change the Device name to. Cortex-M4 (or Cortex-M0 if you use XMC1xxx)

2781.attach

best regards
Andi
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Andi, and anyone else interested..

Andi, well I never! I was intrigued by your post, and solution. It never even occurred to me, that such a thing, might be possible. And I can't really say that I've missed having such a possibility.

But I was intrigued, and thought I'd give the above, a go. Unfortunately, not really positive results. And just posting really, for anyone else reading, that might want to give this a try. Just to let you know, my 'mileage', on the matter.

I tried changing the box you highlight, Device type. I changed it from 'XMC4300-F100x256', that we have in there presently, to 'Cortex-M4'.

As an aside, I note that if I click the blue underlined 'Supported device names', I see that the latter is listed, though not the former. Not that we've had any problems, with 'XMC4300-F100x256'.

Anyway, first thing I tried, was starting a debug session, by clicking the DAVE beetle. The session started in the usual way, with a Debug tab appearing. I then clicked 'X', on the tab, to close the session. Our code carried on running, evident from board blinking LEDs, etc. Then, I tried Window > Open Perspective > Other.. > Debug (also possible via small square icon with yellow plus sign, just to left of 'DAVE IDE' button, at top-right of DAVE). And indeed, I could set a breakpoint, in the source, and the running code paused at that point. Success! I could also, pause, and unpause, the running code, using the toolbar pause button.

Next, after closing the session, I tried closing DAVE, then reopening. Our code carried on running, throughout. But on reopening the Debug perspective, just a sea of white on-screen, no source shown, pause etc buttons greyed. I tried, in the DAVE IDE/CE perspective, opening our main.c, and then looked in the Debug perspective. main.c showed. But breakpoints had no effect. And the pause etc buttons, were greyed. Likewise, if I opened main.c, before reopening the Debug perspective.

The same unsuccessful results, if I closed the debug session, disconnected then reconnected our XMC Link debugger probe from our board JTAG connector, then reopened the Debug perspective, including opening main.c before or after, or neither.

Also no success, for any of the above, if instead of reopening the debug perspective, I clicked the DAVE beetle. That just reloaded then ran our code, as the beetle usually does.

I then thought I would try all of the above, with our usual 'XMC4300-F100x256', in the Device type box. Results were identical.

So for us, at least, 're-debug-ability', is limited to reopening a closed Debug perspective, while DAVE still running, with probe still connected.

Better than nothing, though 🙂

And good to know that a possibility..

Best regards,

David
0 Likes
User10538
Level 3
Level 3
if you mouse-hover over the "connect to running target" it says "currently not supported by segger", so i didn't even try 🙂

aside from that, having the possibility to post-mortem-debug could be quite useful if it was working.
maybe infineon could look into it with segger and make it work officially!?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Do you know, at the back of my mind, I think I'd seen the 'Connect to running target' checkbox, but it didn't occur to me, while I was experimenting per previous post.
I just hovered, and indeed I can see, it says 'Currently not supported by SEGGER'. Ah, that would be why I couldn't get it to work, much !
Yes, it would be good to have that functionality.
Also on the todo, is to take Segger's free Ozone debugger for a test-drive, it's been recommended..
0 Likes