XMC1300 VADC channels with different groups triggered by CCU8

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Dear All,

I am using following VADC channels with groups.

=====================================
GROUP 0 GROUP 1
CH0 CH1
CH7 CH5
CH7

The VADC should start scan on every rising edge of CCU8(PWM) trigger point.

How VADC should be configured to achieve this?

1) I should use Background request source or scan request source or queue request source.

2) As the channels are from different groups, which technique is to be implemented to achieve this.

3) When should we use background / scan request / queue request?

Please guide me.

Regards,
Tinchu
0 Likes
16 Replies
Not applicable
Hi,

I have already read the manual you are suggesting.

I couldn't understand the concept fully.

Whats the difference between Background scan | Scan request | Queue request.

In my case which will be best solution to use.

Please guide me the difference at least.

Regards,
Tinchu
0 Likes
Not applicable
Dear All,

The part number is : XMC1300 series, XMC1302-Q040X0064

I have configured CCU8_CCU80 slice for PWM generation.

As per the configuration SR0 is selected for Interrupt and is working fine, ISR is getting executed.

But when I m selecting SR1 or SR2, ISR is not executed.

Below API is being used

/* Connect period match and one match event to SR0 */
XMC_CCU8_SLICE_SetInterruptNode(SLICE0_PTR,
XMC_CCU8_SLICE_IRQ_ID_PERIOD_MATCH,
XMC_CCU8_SLICE_SR_ID_0);

As per reference manual SR0, SR1, SR2 are connected to.

CCU80.SR0 NVIC; Service request line

CCU80.SR1 NVIC; Service request line
POSIF0.MSETE;

CCU80.SR2 VADC0.BGREQTRI; Service request line
VADC0.G0REQTRI;
VADC0.G1REQTRI;
ERU0.OGU03;
ERU0.OGU13;

If I am selecting SR0 then ISR is executed.

In SR1 also NVIC is there but still ISR is not executed.

If selecting SR1 or SR2 then ISR is not executed.

Could any one please explain and guide me.

Regards,
Tinchu
0 Likes
Eric1
Employee
Employee
Hello akshatra,

The difference of Background, Queue and Scan is explained in detail in the mentioned Application note.
roughly spoken the difference is in the complexity:

Background: Sample channels independent of groups but in given order. (No sampling at the same time possible)
Scan: Sample channels per group but in given order.
Queue: Sample channels per group in user configured order.

For your application I would use two ADC_MEASUREMENT_ADV APP and the PWM_CCU8 APP and a Interrupt APP.

Also The example:
ADC_MEASUREMENT_ADV_XMC45

Is very close to your project. You only need to add another instance of ADC APP and also connect the PWM event to this APP.
Unfortunately the Example is only available for XMC4500. But the ADC APPs for XMC4500 and XMC1300 are very similar.

Best Regards
Eric
0 Likes
Not applicable
@Eric : Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

I made the code that uses scan request Source.

For generating the interrupt I am stuck with one register GxSEVNP(Source Event Node Pointer Register, Group X)

In this register there are two bit fields : SEV0NP & SEV1NP

I am not getting the clear difference between these two bit fields and for Scan Request Source which one I should choose.

Could any one please guide me

Regards,
Tinchu
0 Likes
Not applicable
SEV0NP is routing for the queue source event for the associated 'group' (the x in Gx).
SEV1NP is routing for the scan source event for the associated 'group' (the x in Gx).

So for scan source event, you need to set up SEV1NP
0 Likes
Not applicable
@procesc : thanks a lot for your kind reply.

As you know I am using the following channels per group.

GROUP 0 GROUP 1
CH0 CH1
CH7 CH5
CH7

Should I go with scan request or queue request?

How the interrupt will work ... 2 separate ISR will execute or single as I am using two groups.

Regards,
Tinchu
0 Likes
Not applicable
I prefer queue because I can select arbitrary group channels in an arbitrary order (think oversampling and out of order sampling). There are quite a lot of ways to get interrupts going for this...I prefer source event on completion of the last converted channel of the queue.
I'm sure there is a way to do this for scan source, I've just never done it. For the queue method, you would set the ENSI bit of the last entry of the queue. Also, if you set the RF bit of each entry of the queue, they auto reload (so you don't have to reload the queue every interrupt).

Anyway, if I remember correctly, either way you do it, SEV0NP or SEV1NP defaults to 0b0000, which is service request line 0 of the group x....so you don't necessarily have to modify either. If, for example, you want to enable the interrupt for group 1 service request line 0, once
everything else is already set up, I think all you have to do is add:
NVIC->ICPR[0] = (1< NVIC->ISER[0] = (1<
You could do the same for the other groups scan/queue, to give two interrupts.

I did manage to find a way to route the completion of the queue of one group through the ERU to trigger the start of conversions on another queue, which then generates an interrupt....that would be a one interrupt solution.
0 Likes
Not applicable
@pricesc, thanks a lot for your guidance.

I am facing problem in reading 2 analog pins now out of 5.

P2.6 -> Vadc Group 0 Channel 0

P2.7 -> Vadc Group 1 Channel 1

I have tried even to sense the above single channel, then also I couldn't get the results.

These 2 pins are always high.

Are these 2 pins have some specific use which I have to change for making them to work as analog pins?

The other 3 channels I am reading successfully.

Please guide me for these 2 pins.

Regards,
Tinchu
0 Likes
Not applicable
What ADC measurement are you expecting to see on those channels/ what voltage is actually present on the pins?

Some possibilities cross my mind:
-If P2_PDISC bits 6 and 7 (and 8 if you are using a part where 2.7 and 2.8 share the same physical pin) are zeroed (enabling the digital input path on these pins), and you have these pins set as an input with internal pull up device active in the P2_IOCR# registers, that could be pulling the signal up, maybe?
-If the bits are set in SHS0_GNCTR00 and SHS0_GNCTR10 for a gain factor greater than 1 (3,6,12...the gains divide the reference by this amount), and your signal is greater than that divided reference, you could be 'saturating' the conversion.
0 Likes
Not applicable
@pricesc, thanx for your kind reply. The two pins issues is solved now as per your guidance. I am trying for queue request now and facing some issues.

Scan Request is running successfully. The only issue is there are two separate interrupts for Group 0 and Group 1.

Realizing this I am try to implement Queue request mode with the following positions in the queue.

======================================================================
ENTRY_0 ENTRY_1 ENTRY_2 ENTRY_3 ENTRY_4
CH_0 CH_7 CH1 CH5 CH7
GRP_0 GRP_0 GRP_1 GRP_1 GRP_1

Please guide me for the following.

• PWM rising edge is the trigger for the queue element positioned at zero i.e. channel_0 group_0
  • Each element in the queue should start conversion when PWM high edge is triggered.
  • The interrupt should be generated after Channel_7 Group_1 is converted i.e. whole series is converted. I need only single interrupt and read all the channels in that interrupt only.

My confusion is

const XMC_VADC_QUEUE_ENTRY_t g_queue_entry_0_handle =
{
.channel_num = 0,
.refill_needed = 1,
.external_trigger = 0,
.generate_interrupt = 0,
};

• For each channel entry what will be the values for the following two bits.
    .external_trigger = 0,
    .generate_interrupt = 0,

• Below bits are self explanatory, no problems in this
    .channel_num = 0,
    .refill_needed = 0,

Rest of the registers are initialized. Only the above two bit entry is making me confuse.

Please guide me.

Regards,
Tinchu
0 Likes
Not applicable
There are two queues, and they are group dependent. Meaning there is a queue for group 0 and a queue for group 1. You are showing channels from group 0 and 1 in the same queue, which is not possible. If you can, I would consider getting all your signals on the same group, so they can all go
in the same queue. Of course, you mention that you have scan mode running successfully, so this should work for that as well.

I don't use XMClib or DAVE Apps so I cannot help with initialization using those. However, if you are setting up the queue manually, and you want each conversion to be triggered by a PWM rising edge, I would think you would want the external trigger bit set in the queue register for each entry in the
queue, and the generate interrupt bit set on the last channel in the queue.

If you cannot get all signals you want to convert on the same group, you can route the interrupt trigger from the last queue entry of group 0 through the ERU to trigger the first entry of the queue of group 1. To do that, you need to set the enable interrupt bit on the last entry in the group 0 queue, and
set SEV0NP bits in G0SEVNP to one of the service request lines that goes to the ERU instead of to the NVIC. Take a look at the interconnects section on the VADC...C0SR3 goes to ERU0.OGU22 and ERU0.OGU32 for example. It is pretty straightforward to get a channel of the ERU to trigger
group 1 queue conversions...it should also be doable to AND the last conversion of Group 0 with a rising edge PWM signal to trigger Group 1. Take a look and see if it is worth figuring out.
0 Likes
Not applicable
@pricesc, thanx for your valuable guidance.

I am trying to configure ERU with the following bits.

• I am selecting C0SR2 - ERU0.OGU02 - Serice Request 2 of common block 0 from VADC Group 0.
  • ERU0.IOUT0 i.e. GxREQTRM to trigger group 1 of VADC.
  • ERU register EXOCON :

• ISS bit values selected as 0x10 i.e. ERU_OGUy2, as y is zero because I am selecting ERU0.OGU02.
    • GP bit values selected as 0x01.

Nothing is working so I set bit PE of EXICON and bit OCS values as 0x000.

Still I am not getting the trigger.

Could you please guide me what more bits/register are needed to be configured to achieve this.

Regards
Tinchu
0 Likes
Not applicable
The only thing I had to do to get it to work for me was set up the EXOCON register. I think the best I can do is give more details of how I did it for an example:

-I was using OGU3 with C0SR3 as its input. I have queue for group 0 converting first The last conversion of queue group 0 was set to trigger a source event interrupt ((1 << VADC_G_QINR0_ENSI_Pos) set for the last value loaded into G0QINR0).
-I routed that 'interrupt' to C0SR3 by setting VADC_G0->SEVNP = (0b0111<-I wanted the ERU to trigger the start of group 1 conversions immediately after the last conversion of group 0 finished (no waiting for a PWM edge per channel in queue, my conversions of group 0 are initially started by a PWM edge, then all channels convert in sequence without delay).
So, I set ERU0->EXOCON[3] = (0b10< So, as soon as ERU_OGU32 is set high, ERU_IOUT3 rises. The interconnects section shows that IOUT3 is routed to VADC0.G1REQTRH. So, I then had the first conversion of Group 1 set to wait for a trigger event ((1< To complete the setup on the ADC side, I have to set VADC_G1.QMR0 and VADC_G1.QCTRL0. Specifically, G1QMR0 needs to be set to (0b01< and enable the use of a trigger event. G1QCTRL0.XTSEL needs to be set to 0b0111 to route ERU0.IOUT3 as the trigger source, XTmode set to 0b10 to enable trigger on rising edge, and XTWC to 1 to enable modifying the bits.

This is what worked for me, but like I said, I only use a PWM edge to start the first conversion, so this setup will not wait for a PWM for the first conversion of the Group 1 queue. I see that there is some ANDing logic options in the ERU, so you may be able to get that functionality from the ERU,
I just don't know the details well enough to say exactly how. You may also be able to do it with my basic ERU setup plus setting (0b10<signals from CCU40 and CCU80 route to REQGT. I hope I maybe pointed out a detail above you may have missed. Also, sorry for my poor formatting...hope this helps.
0 Likes
Not applicable
@pricesc : thanks a lot for your kind guidance and quick response.
With your support I have accomplished my task.

But now as the new code is working, I just thought to see deeper in VADC queue concept and made some MCU pin high low when Interrupt is generated.

When I am using the new code i.e PWM high pulse trigger GROUP 0(starting channel) and ERU trigger GROUP 1(starting channel) of the same queue. I got pulses on the oscilliscope.

But when I cross verify the old code where PWM is giving trigger to GROUP 0(starting channel) and to GROUP1(starting channel), I got the same result. That's surprising for me, because I thought

PWM first high pulse will trigger GROUP 0 and then the next pulse of PWM will trigger GROUP 1 and then resulting the generation of ISR.

In the old code I am not using any kind of ERU trigger or any other trigger. The same PWM high pulse is triggering both GROUP 0 & 1. Is it really possible that it gives parallel trigger to both

the groups?

If this is the case then there is no need of ERU which I have implemented or something is there which I am missing and assuming the wrong result?

Could you please see in this regard and reply me ASAP.

Thank you so much for your help and knowledge sharing.

Regard,
Tinchu
0 Likes
Not applicable
It is hard for me to say what is going on without seeing your code and how close together your interrupts are firing. I'm pretty sure you can route the same PWM trigger to both groups.

I thought you were trying to trigger each individual conversion on a pwm edge....i.e. Group 0 queue entry 0 converts on pwm edge 0, then Group 0 queue entry 1 converts on pwm edge 1,...group 1 queue entry n converts on pwm edge m. But it sounds like you are using the pwm edge to start the
first conversion, and all conversions after that autoconvert in sequence (which is determined by whether or not you have the EXTR bit set in QINR 0 each queue entry). So I am a little confused on that, but I guess that is besides the point for the moment.

Anyway, is it possible that, in your original code, you had both queues set to start converting on a PWM edge from the same channel? If so, both queues can be set to convert 'at the same time,' and as I understand it that is fine. The ADC arbiter can sequence which group gets converted when.
If your pin toggles in interrupt are closer together in your original code than your new code, that would support what I am saying. This is all speculation without having your project in front of me, however.

If you don't care about order of conversions, why not use the arbiter? I will say that I personally used the method I have previously described with Group 0 last conversion triggering Group 1 first conversion through the ERU because it GUARANTEED a specific order of conversions. That means
I know all of group 0 is done converting before group 1, and so I only need ONE interrupt, when the last entry of the group 1 queue is done converting. In that one interrupt, I can store all the conversions from both groups. Something to think about.

I hope this helped.
0 Likes