Using the XMC4700 relax kit to program any XMC microcontroller

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Is it possible to use the Cortex 10 pin connector on the XMC4700 relax kit board to program other XMC microcontrollers? The solutions that Infineon offers in the website don't look very appealing, as they either use 3rd party hardware and software, or their own solutions are way too expensive, compared to the already on-board hardware in the relax kit.

If possible, I'd like to program any off-the-shelf XMC micro using the onboard debugger/flashing tool from the XMC4700 relax kit just as easily as programming the relax kit board (i.e. pressing the Debug button in DAVE 4).

Even if doing this is not officially supported by Infineon, is there any way to do it? Or do the XMCs in the relax kit boards come with some kind of boot loader or pre-programmed "fuse bits" (like in the 8-bit AVRs from Atmel) that makes it impossible to just connect the debugger to a brand new XMC microcontroller and use DAVE 4 to program it?

I'm sorry if this information is readily available and I'm just being dumb, but the whole ARM microcontroller stuff is very new to me and I'm struggling to learn how to use them.
0 Likes
2 Replies
Not applicable
Hello,

Why don't you use Infineon's KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1 ? This is the same hardware as the on board debugger of the relax kit. Ok, it is around 90 USD, which is more than the relax kit, but it is still way cheaper than other third party alternatives, and most likely a lot less complicated than reverse engineering the relax kit.

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1/productType.html?pr...

Best regards
Loic
0 Likes
User12775
Level 5
Level 5
First solution authored First like received
The short answer: It is possible.

The on-board debugger is a simplified Jlink which connects to the onboard target with the SWD interface and Serial port. Both of these two ports could be easily tailored to connect other target if you have understood the schematic.
0 Likes