Xmc4400 | pwm + dma

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi,

We want to generate a PWM output signal on one channel without CPU interaction. It can be CCU40 or CCU80, we have no preference.

The setup is:
1) Timer module generates pulses at a certain interval
2) DMA module is triggered by the pulses generated in (1). On every pulse, it transfers a 16-bit value to the PWM period match register.
3) The PWM module is running, but it does not update the period match register.

The problem is the shadow transferring mechanism. I can successfully update the PWM period match register with DMA, but according to the datasheet I also need to manually write to the shadow transfer enable register with the CPU.
Is it possible to trigger a shadow transfer without the need for CPU interaction?

I see that there is a connection between the POSIF module and the shadow transfer enable pin (hardware). Can I use this functionality somehow to address my problem?

The purpose is to play an audio file without CPU interaction.

Thanks
Rickard
0 Likes
9 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

Have a look to the attached project.

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks, that is just what I'm looking for!

However I still have a problem with memory size. In your example - and also in other DMA <-> peripheral devices - the buffer is using 4 byte (uint32_t) values. The peripheral destination value I want to set is only 16 bits, so there is no need for the extra 2 bytes. We need to save RAM so we would like to only use 16-bit values in the buffer.

I have tried setting the transfer width of both source and destionation to XMC_DMA_CH_TRANSFER_WIDTH_16 in the DMA, but it does not work.
I have also tried setting the transfer width of source to XMC_DMA_CH_TRANSFER_WIDTH_16, and destination to XMC_DMA_CH_TRANSFER_WIDTH_32, but it doesn't work either.

Is there a way to perform generic DMA transfer from 16-bit values to 32-bit registers?

Thanks
Rickard
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi again,

The sample code that you provided works as intended. However there are still some features that are not included in the sample code. I've tried to get them to work, but I have not had any success yet.

1) As in my previous post, I need to save RAM so I cannot use 32 bit buffers for the DMA transfers to the CCU unit. I need to setup the DMA to read 8-bit (or 16-bit) values and write them to the 32-bit register of the CCU Compare register.
Instead of uint32_t duty_cycles[2][48], I would like uint8_t duty_cycles[2][48].

2) I need to generate an interrupt (to ISR) whenever a block in the linked list has been completed. I tried using the XMC_DMA_CH_EnableEvent() and XMC_DMA_CH_SetEventHandler() functions, but I still do not get into my ISR.

Thanks
Rickard
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hello, please answer my question. I'm still working on this and need your help.

Best regards
Rickard
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

Still waiting for an answer.
Thanks.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi...i am a new user here. My question regards internal flash sector configuration. In previous versions of jlink software this processor had 10 sectors, 0-7 with the length 16kb, 8-128kb, 9-256kb.
Sectors 0-7 are logical sectors. In my application first logical sector is used for code and rest for storing some application data.
This was advantageous since during software download data sectors were not erased. Now, in last 2-3 recent versions of jlink software.
I noticed that sectors become only 4, 0-64kb, 1-64kb, 2-128kb, 3-256kb. Such organization is causing that application data sectors are erased every time new software is downloaded.
Why of this change? Do you recommend creating my own jflash configuration file with previous settings?
Once I create this file, how can I make it use by debugger (isystem-winidea) which is using Jlink as debugging interface.

smt assembly
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

Any update on my issue?

Rickard
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

See attached modified main.c file to enable 16bit duty cycles and enabling interrupt that signals that a block transfer is finished.

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
Not applicable
jferreira wrote:
Hi,

See attached modified main.c file to enable 16bit duty cycles and enabling interrupt that signals that a block transfer is finished.

Regards,
Jesus

Thanks Jesus, it works just like I wanted.

Rickard
0 Likes