24GHz automotive radar development kit - Unreliable measurements

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello,

I am using the 24GHz automotive radar kit. The measurements returned by the radar kit for the distance, speed, angle and RCS seem to be very inconsistent and unreliable. Is anyone else having this problem too?
0 Likes
12 Replies
User270
Level 5
Level 5
5 solutions authored First solution authored
Hi pranav,

I do not have a radar kit, but I would like to know why you are saying that the data you receive seem to be very inconsistent and unreliable.
Are you using something for a reference to detect the distance,speed angle and RCS? How did you process the data to put it into a readable format for speed etc.? Is there a software provided by Infineon?
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Not applicable
Hi Forix,

I kept an object at a known distance from the radar, so that I know what distance output I should be getting. The attached Excel file has the results of my tests.
I repeated the tests multiple times, to see whether there was consistency.

I wrote scripts in Matlab to extract data from the sensor, according to the protocol mentioned in the manual of the radar kit. Infineon provides software for the microcontroller that runs the radar.

Thanks for your reply.
0 Likes
User270
Level 5
Level 5
Hi pranav,

The only thing your result is showing that probably something is working, The values in the cells are increasing with the distance. For what distances is the application built for, short-, mid- or long-range?

According to the information on https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/product/microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-tm-microcontroller/tricore-tm...
there is a firmware image as a sample application for the board available which can be used as a good starting point for the own development. There are two patch antennas, how are they used?

The sample firmware provides data display on Windows PC, you should compare your result with the readings from sample firmware.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Forix,

Yes, I agree that there is a consistent pattern, but the radar kit's code does not give me accurate distance(which it is supposed to). This is my problem.

Since it is a 24ghz radar, it is meant for short range: Check it here

The measurements are taken directly from the code provided by Infineon. I have written a script in Matlab to extract information from the UDP packets that the radar kit sends.

The sample firmware provides the same output as the tests I have conducted.

A detailed explanation of the antennas cannot be found in the documentation.
0 Likes
User270
Level 5
Level 5
Hi,

You wrote
The sample firmware provides the same output as the tests I have conducted.

The original sample firmware is still running on the board? What kind of data in the UDP packets you receive, are they already pre-processed data (FFT) or raw data (ADC samples)?
Could you please attach the Windows PC data (org firmware), btw are graphics available?

The Product Brief of the kit is showing soemthing like that on the bottom of the first page.
The graph "Radar targets with angle measurement" shows the distance of the targets in meter range 0..16m, while you are showing in your excel 0.2m .. 3m.

Try to set your target on the same distance and angle as shown on this diagram to reproduce the results.
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Not applicable
Hi Forix,

Yes, the original firmware is still running. I haven't modified the code provided by Infineon.

The UDP packets are supposed to give me the distance, speed, angle and RCS data for each target directly. It's called the target list packet. See the file attached (page 19)

The original firmware does not save any data, it only displays graphs. The graph in the manual has been updated and the new graph is a polar map with targets in the view of the radar visible on the map. 2667.attach

Only one software can access the data port at a time, so I don't have recorded data from the original firmware.

Here's the firmware source code (It's quite large): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2hILFfNlpj6VjlCNDNBbUJac1k?usp=sharing
0 Likes
User270
Level 5
Level 5
Hi pranav,

You have checked the correct functionality of the board, also with the help of the user manual and Infineons software (both as reference) and you have the same results with your Matlab environment.
The automotive short range radar is used for distances of about 0.5m up to ~25..30m (angle I do not know exactly). The range you can set, shown on the attached graph, is probably in that range.

On my opinion, I think your hardware/software setup is done.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Forix,

Yeah, I think it's done too but as you see, my problem is the value of distance that is being returned by the radar.

I am trying to find a way to get accurate measurements for distance.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi all,

I think I'm having a similar problem trying to get the raw ADC values. I wrote a python program to listen for the incoming packets at the port and IP, decode them, and graph the ADC values.
But it also seems to contradict the graph in the native software.

Original Software:
2689.attach

Python Graph:2690.attach

Not trying to hijack your post, but I was hoping we might have some insights for each other.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi nmkitchin,

I haven't tried to use the ADC values. I'm just trying to use the data from the target list. So unfortunately I can't help you in this area.
The graph of the native software you're using seems to be an older version. There is an updated version that you should consider using.

That version has a polar map for the target list and I am able to replicate that in Matlab.

What is your target application for the radar kit?

I'm trying to detect and track objects in the short range.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hello pranav,

Do you know where I would go to get the updated version on Infineon?

I believe my professor wants to mount it on a drone and track objects as well.

He instructed me to get the raw ADC data first.

Perhaps with the updated software it will be better. I'll keep you in mind if I ever make any progress with the target plot.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi nmkitchin,

I guess you already have access to the 'Microcontrollers/AURIX Customer Documentation' download region on the Infineon website. If not, you get it on request.

In the AURIX region, you'll find it under '00 AURIX TC2xx General' -> '03 TriBoard and Application Board Documentation' -> '03 Automotive 24GHz Radar Development Kit' -> 'RFBeam 24GHz V2.zip'
0 Likes