XMC4700 MULTICAN+ Problem by using DAVE 4 apps

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello,

I have created a MUTLICAN+ program which runs smoothly in loop-back mode. If I switch off the loob-balck mode and try to send via a PCAN-View can messages to my XMC4700 Relax Kit or receive some from it, it does not work. My bus seem to be BUSHEAVY all the time. Now I am unsure whether I have something wrong in the configuration.

In order to send messages without Loob-Balck mode, I have to connect the respective pins (here: P1.12 and P1.13) to the MULTICAN_CONFIG APP, if I understood correctly?
Now I have created over two instances of the DIGITAL_IO APP and assigned them the two pins. Furthermore, I renamed the two instances to CAN_TX and CAN_RX.
CAN_TX was set as Input/Output and CAN_RX as Input. Now I would nevertheless in the "HW Signal Connections" tool of the MULTICAN_CONFIG APP assign the pins as well as the interrupt.

Now I have the problem that I can assign nothing to the transmit node (node0), as well as the receive node (node1). Only their counterparts, as seen below.

# event_lmo_01_rxinp -----> INTERUPT_0, sr_irq
# tx_pin_node1 -----> CAN_TX, pin
# rx_pin_node0 -----> MULTICAN_CONFIG_0, rx_pin_node1

This is the only configuration I could do but now it should really look more like this:

# event_lmo_01_rxinp -----> INTERUPT_0, sr_irq
# rx_pin_node1 -----> CAN_RX, pin
# tx_pin_node0 -----> CAN_TX, pin

However, these settings can not be made !?

I hope you can help me, how I can set with DAVE 4 in the latest version the pins for my XMC4700 Relax Kit correct for CAN right?
As already mentioned in Loop-Back mode everything works without errors!

Best regards
TUMstudent
0 Likes
3 Replies
DRubeša
Employee
Employee
First solution authored First like received
Hi TUMStudent,

so pins that you mentioned (1.12 and 1.13) are correct ones. However, you need to notice that both pins belong to the NODE1. You can see this by the XMC function given in the Table 7 CAN signals and XMC4700/XMC4800 Pin Mapping given in Board User Manual for your board (CAN.N1_TXD, CAN.N1_RXDC). This .N1 specifies that we´re using NODE1.
OK, so what that has with you? Well, your idea with transmit node as NODE0 and receive node as NODE1 will not work. Both transmit and receive should be on the same node (NODE1) while this is how the CAN transceiver is connected to the XMC4700 core. For this reason, enable only one node and while the DAVE will figure it out by itself, double check that DAVE is using NODE1 as selected resource:
2485.attach

I assume two DIGITAL_IO APPs are already added and set to pins 1.12 and 1.13. Don´t forget to add INTERRUPT_IO APP. Now we need to connect everything. For this we use "HW Signal Connections" tool. Connect everything as is shown on following figures:
2486.attach

So, interrupt event is connected with the INTERRUPT APP and it´s interrupt handler routine that will be called in case of receive event is detected. tx_pin from NODE 1 is connected to the CAN_TX DIGITAL_IO APP or more precisely to the pin 1.12. So far so good. We just miss RX_PIN. You see on top right corner this "Filter" drop-down menu. Current value is "MULTICAN_CONFIG_0". Click on it and select CAN_RX. Now connect the pin 1.13 to the input of the MULTICAN_CONFIG APP, more precisely to the rx_pin NODE 1. You will see something like this:
2487.attach

That should be it. Both pins are connected to NODE 1 in the logical sense.

Let me know how it went for you.

Best regards,
Deni

P.S. There is much simpler way of doing this and that is by using CAN_NODE APP instead of MULTICAN_CONFIG APP 🙂 I don´t know is it mandatory for you to use MULTICAN_CONFIG APP but you can also check CAN_NODE APP. What is the difference you may wonder: while MULTICAN_CONFIG is more powerful with more functions, it´s also more complicated. CAN_NODE would immediately know which pins it can use and it would offer you those pins from the beginning so you wouldn´t need to use DIGITAL_IO APPs. Take a look by yourself 😛
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hello Deni,

Now it works fine! >> Thank you for your help! << 😄

Best regards
TUMstudent

PS: I using the MULTICAN_CONFIG APP because I may have to implement two FIFO (Tx and Rx) lists later and have a high CAN data rate. Also it could be possible that i have to use the gateway functionatity to communicate from one CAN-Bus to an other.
0 Likes
DRubeša
Employee
Employee
First solution authored First like received
Hi TUMStudent,

Let´s take a look for a second the code of the "XMC_CAN_MO_UpdateData" function:
XMC_CAN_STATUS_t XMC_CAN_MO_UpdateData(const XMC_CAN_MO_t *const can_mo)
{
XMC_CAN_STATUS_t error = XMC_CAN_STATUS_MO_NOT_ACCEPTABLE;
/* Check whether message object is transmit message object */
if (can_mo->can_mo_type == XMC_CAN_MO_TYPE_TRANSMSGOBJ)
{
can_mo->can_mo_ptr->MOCTR = CAN_MO_MOCTR_RESMSGVAL_Msk;
/* Configure data length */
can_mo->can_mo_ptr->MOFCR = ((can_mo->can_mo_ptr->MOFCR) & ~(uint32_t)(CAN_MO_MOFCR_DLC_Msk)) |
(((uint32_t) can_mo->can_data_length << CAN_MO_MOFCR_DLC_Pos) & (uint32_t)CAN_MO_MOFCR_DLC_Msk);
/* Configure Data registers*/
can_mo->can_mo_ptr->MODATAL = can_mo->can_data[0];
can_mo->can_mo_ptr->MODATAH = can_mo->can_data[1];
/* Reset RTSEL and Set MSGVAL ,TXEN0 and TXEN1 bits */
can_mo->can_mo_ptr->MOCTR = (CAN_MO_MOCTR_SETNEWDAT_Msk| CAN_MO_MOCTR_SETMSGVAL_Msk |CAN_MO_MOCTR_RESRTSEL_Msk);
error = XMC_CAN_STATUS_SUCCESS;
}
else
{
error = XMC_CAN_STATUS_MO_NOT_ACCEPTABLE;
}
return error;
}

As you can see, error code output depends only on one "if" statement and that is if the current message object is transmitting or receiving one. Apparently, in your case it assumes it´s receiving one. So, why is that?

The problem is that in your code you pass through all function calls TX_NODE_NUMBER as an argument. However, all of these functions expect pointer to the message object and this number should just indicated to which message object the pointer refers to. So, message object not CAN node. Due to the fact that TX_NODE_NUMBER = 1, I´m pretty sure that you defined message object 1 as a receiving message object and now the function assumes OK, I´m given pointer to message object 1 which is receiving one and hmmm...I cannot update data of receiving message object so return error code "XMC_CAN_STATUS_MO_NOT_ACCEPTABLE".
Just add additional defines like TX_MO and RX_MO, make sure they are DIFFERENT and they are equal to values you set in MULTICAN_CONFIG APP and replace the the TX_NODE_NUMBER with TX_MO in your code. That should be it 🙂

Mahlzeit 😛
Deni

P.S hahaha, I see you removed your post before I wrote an answer...OK, I´m happy it worked for you but I will leave my post here for maybe future issues.
0 Likes