Connection closed by the GDB server - no source available for "0x0"

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm new to DAVE and need help with debugging my XMC4800 Relay Kit.
When I create a new "DAVE CE" or "Simple Main" project I'm not able to use the debugger. The code download works fine but then the debugger terminates with "no source available for 0x0".
When I use the "Easy Start" Project the Debugger works fine.
Which Checkbox do I have forgotten? Maybe there is also a tutorial which explains this but I haven't found it.

Thanks.
0 Likes
23 Replies
Not applicable
can't anyone imagine what's the Problem? Infineon?
It seem to be a DAVE Problem. I just moved to another PC and did the same. Here it is working!

The differences between the PCs are:
on the working PC I have direct Internet and admin rights.
on my normal pc i'm running DAVE without admin rights and i had to move the LibraryStore because of the bad default Folder. Also the Internet Connection is limited by our IT
0 Likes
User12770
Level 1
Level 1
I'm having the same problem.
I can run/ program an XMC4500 lite board but I can't enter a debug session at all ( Using an easy start project doesn't work for me)
Every time I try to start an debug session I get the same error "No source available for "0x0" "

Can anyone help with the issue?
0 Likes
User9076
Level 1
Level 1
I have sometime the same problem.
To solve it I start a complete new workspace and import the old project. Then I can debug.
0 Likes
WoS
Employee
Employee
First solution authored
Noticing the same problem. Got a new computer and did a setup using the latest DAVE v4 download (Version 4.3.2 as I can find in the "about dave" screen).
Even with setting up a brand new (default) easy project, debugging does not work anymore (gdb closes connection / no source available message).
I did even update the setup to the latest Segger Jlink V6.13d (beta) w/o success - so it is something else....

I have no problem on my older DAVE v4 setup (I have not updated yet to anything newer), debugging still works.

My first idea was that it is some sort of firewall problem connecting to the JLink, but I assume flash uploads wouldn't work either and I also can see it initially reads out processor registers and so and verifies the upload ok.
So I suppose some default settings got changed? I am no gdb expert (I am quite positive the issue is somewhere there or in the binary generated), so unfortunately I can't do any more tool investigation than sending the logs below...

Edit:

I took a project I was able to debug from the one PC (the whole directory) and imported it in DAVE as project on the new setup. There I just tried to start the debug session, with the debug binaries generated on the working setup (w/o rebuild).
I get the very same picture - debug does not work: GDB immediately stops and the Eclipse debug shows the mentioned message. So I think this excludes it has anything to do with the build process itself (compiler switches, linking, ...).

I also added the gdb server log of a functional debug session (the differences start after this line):
--> Read 4 bytes @ address 0x10001018 (Data = 0x4A124911)

Hope this helps...

Thanks!

Here the logs from Eclipse Console:

----jLinkGDBServer------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
SEGGER J-Link GDB Server V6.13d (beta) Command Line Version

JLinkARM.dll V6.13d (DLL compiled Jan 20 2017 18:05:53)

-----GDB Server start settings-----
GDBInit file: none
GDB Server Listening port: 2331
SWO raw output listening port: 2332
Terminal I/O port: 2333
Accept remote connection: localhost only
Generate logfile: off
Verify download: on
Init regs on start: on
Silent mode: off
Single run mode: on
Target connection timeout: 0 ms
------J-Link related settings------
J-Link Host interface: USB
J-Link script: none
J-Link settings file: none
------Target related settings------
Target device: XMC1100-Q024x0064
Target interface: SWD
Target interface speed: auto
Target endian: little

Connecting to J-Link...
J-Link is connected.
Firmware: J-Link Lite-XMC4200 Rev.1 compiled Jan 14 2016 11:19:27
Hardware: V1.00
S/N: 591029788
Checking target voltage...
Target voltage: 3.30 V
Listening on TCP/IP port 2331
Connecting to target...Connected to target
Waiting for GDB connection...Connected to 127.0.0.1
Reading all registers
Read 4 bytes @ address 0x00000000 (Data = 0x20000200)
Read 2 bytes @ address 0x00000000 (Data = 0x0200)
Target interface speed set to 1000 kHz
Resetting target
Halting target CPU...
...Target halted (PC = 0x10001018)
R0 = 20000520, R1 = 10001019, R2 = 00000006, R3 = 00000008
R4 = 10001019, R5 = 10001000, R6 = FFFFFFFF, R7 = 40010000
R8 = 01124424, R9 = 12090700, R10= 030000A5, R11= 015A0404
R12= 20000490, R13= 20000520, MSP= 20000520, PSP= 8C124844
R14(LR) = 0000099F, R15(PC) = 10001018
XPSR 61000000, APSR 60000000, EPSR 01000000, IPSR 00000000
CFBP 00000000, CONTROL 00, FAULTMASK 00, BASEPRI 00, PRIMASK 00
Reading all registers
Read 4 bytes @ address 0x10001018 (Data = 0x4A124911)
Read 2 bytes @ address 0x10001018 (Data = 0x4911)
Select auto target interface speed (1875 kHz)
Flash breakpoints enabled
Downloading 2500 bytes @ address 0x10001000 - Verified OK
Downloading 272 bytes @ address 0x100019C4 - Verified OK
Downloading 8 bytes @ address 0x10001AD4 - Verified OK
Resetting target
Halting target CPU...
...Target halted (PC = 0x10001018)
Starting target CPU...
GDB closed TCP/IP connection
Restoring target state and closing J-Link connection...
Shutting down...

----jLinkGDBServer on functional setup------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read 4 bytes @ address 0x10001018 (Data = 0x4A124911) <--- the last line from above with same content
Setting breakpoint @ address 0x10001ED8, Size = 2, BPHandle = 0x0001
Starting target CPU...
...Breakpoint reached @ address 0x10001ED8
Reading all registers
Read 4 bytes @ address 0x10001ED8 (Data = 0x2500B5F0)
Removing breakpoint @ address 0x10001ED8, Size = 2
Reading 64 bytes @ address 0x10001EC0
Reading 64 bytes @ address 0x10001F00
Reading 64 bytes @ address 0x10001F40

-----GDB---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
GNU gdb (GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors) 7.10.1.20160210-cvs
Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-w64-mingw32 --target=arm-none-eabi".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".
Warning: the current language does not match this frame.
0 Likes
Not applicable
I uninstalled my 64-bit DAVE and installed the 32-bit Version. It dosn't make sense to me but now the debugger is working.
0 Likes
WoS
Employee
Employee
First solution authored
Good point, marzoel.

I am running a 32bit version from the very beginning - for the old and the new setup - on a 64bit Win7 (as seen above: "--host=i686-w64-mingw32") - especially because the 64bit DAVE install is also larger and I don't see the advantage for me, it just takes more valuable SSD space. 😉

By the way, I did the transfer between the PC in both directions and my result is:

When I set up a project in the new DAVE installation, it will not run in the old installation either (neither with or without rebuild there).
And a (working) project generated in the old installation, does not work in the new one - even when it is just copied there (no new build - as mentioned).
In both cases I take the very same xmc2go board connected on the one or the other PC (same 64bit OS, same OS update level as far as I can tell, 32bit DAVE).

So it has to do with some changes in the new DAVE environment (or maybe even Win7 environment) I can't figure out, I don't think it is the gdb or gdb-server or debug HW itself...
As I can read above you mentioned moving the project to an other PC solved the issue, in my case it doesn't (even when moving to a known-to-work one).

Your findings tells me it may be just some switch to toggle in the IDE settings or some flags to set a script and everything will be fine again, so for me its good news.

Probably the best is to uninstall DAVE completely and re-do the installation as you did - that's what I try next if I can't find the difference.
0 Likes
WoS
Employee
Employee
First solution authored
I removed DAVE and JLINK completely (including the Infineon folder generated in the user home and the workspaces - of course after checking everything in / back-up of files).
Then I did the reboot as proposed by the uninstaller. Finally I installed DAVE (32bit) and did another reboot - just in case. I started DAVE and generated a new project ("simple main").

I also will not use the previous non-working project setup to be on the safe side - but copy all sources to this newly generated one...

So I can confirm this procedure solves the problem for me as well, issue is gone. I am sorry I can't provide anything more to the root cause itself for a simpler solution.
0 Likes
WoS
Employee
Employee
First solution authored
The issue happened again and I think I know the reason now.

Yesterday was working on a newly set up project, all working well - including debugging.
Over night the PC was in standby, debugger was still connected, a serial terminal opened and the DAVE project was opened as well.
Today I brought up the PC, but on the first attempt to flash I got an error message in DAVE that the jLink interface was not found.
So I unplugged/plugged the board again (its a xmc2go board).
Since then, only flashing works, but not debugging (stops with the message: "Connection closed by the GDB server.").

I tried PC reboots with a connected and not connected board, I also tried project cleanup + rebuild - but this project seems to be corrupt somehow.
Also removing the whole "Debug" directory manually and do a rebuild is not enough.

Intrestingly, only this project is non-functional, I set up some other test projects as well yesterday, these still work - which fits to the other posts above, I suppose the last time I just messed up more than one project I was working in parallel this way without noticing...

So I did some more experiments and figured out that it is sufficient to rename the project and rebuild it. The debug binary gets a new name and debugging is possible again. I can also confirm that setting up a new workspace and importing the project works as well. Maybe it is just some file permission issue or caching problem of the debugger tools and/or Win7...

This is reproducable, after the PC went into sleep mode a few hours ago with serial terminal and DAVE open, the debugger and serial terminal crashed again after waking up the PC.

The trouble really starts when hitting the debug button while the debugger hardware is in some bad state - in my case after the PC was in sleep mode (and the USB wasn't unplug/plug to reset the board). By the way, renaming the project back to a name which was previously corrupted (the name I used the first time) also won't work...

Maybe a jlink/debugger tool expert can have a look at that and may be able to reproduce it this way as well...
0 Likes
Not applicable
After a few days with everything fine - the problem is back again.
For me, just renaming the Project didn't solve the issue...
@WoS: Is there no one at Infineon who can help?
0 Likes
User10538
Level 3
Level 3
i opened debug configurations/startup and deleted the lines
monitor go
disconnect (<- thats the problem why you can't debug)
from the run/restart commands list.

they seem to get added back there randomly, so I have to delete those lines again after some time.
0 Likes
Not applicable
@andyl: Thank you very much! Your answer solved my problem.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Re:- Connection closed to GDB Server - no source available for "0x0"

Hi,
Ref your response below:-
I;m seeing the same problem with a new install of Dave 4.3.2 64 bit and the Infineon XMC1100 arduino demo PCB.
The new code downloads OK.
The GDBServerCL process shows its 'timed out 0' (As previously posted)
The last activity shown was resetting the processor after the code download.
The above hardware and PC works OK with Keil MDK5 debugging.

I'm unable to find the 'monitor go disconnect' command list you mention in the Debug configuration 'Startup' screen.
I have Initial Halt and Reset Type 0 selected.

Any news from Infineon about fixing the problem?

=======================================================================

andyl wrote:
i opened debug configurations/startup and deleted the lines
monitor go
disconnect (<- thats the problem why you can't debug)
from the run/restart commands list.

they seem to get added back there randomly, so I have to delete those lines again after some time.
0 Likes
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

How are you lunching the debugger? You should avoid using the run button and use the debug one.
2520.attach

Try the following:
1. Click on the little arrow near the icon mentioned before.
2. Click on Debug Configurations...
3. Having selected the current faulty configuration click on the red cross to delete selected launch configuration.
4. Double click on GDB SEGGER J-Link Debugging
5. Check your configuration that should be similar to the pictures below.
6. Click on Debug button

Your configuration should look like the following pictures.
2521.attach
2522.attach
2523.attach

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hello everybody,

I have this very same problem. I'm running DAVE 4.3 64 Bit in Windows 7 and working with the XMC4700 Relax Kit.

When trying the debug direct from DAVE I get the following error
2685.attach

I was wondering if anybody else has a solution to this problem without having to change the project name as proposed by "WoS".

Nevertheless, when connecting using J-Link Commander as proposed in this link, I can debug without problem.
http://forum.segger.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3781

Any suggestions?

[EDIT]
I seemed to have overlooked the answer posted by "andyl". I tryed and it worked for me.

I removed the lines
monitor go
disconnect
from the "Run/Restart Commands" in "Debug Configurations\Startup" menu. Now I can debug again directly from DAVE.
2686.attach

Regards
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi guys,
I just experimented something similar to this, and simply creating a new workspace resolved it. Here are the details:
- I was working with Dave 4.3.2-64 bit (downloaded June 2017) and an XMC1200 Boot Kit board (KIT_XMC12_BOOT_001)
- I created multiple projects: all the four that are shown by default by Dave: simple main, Dave CE, Easy Start, etc.
- When I tried to enter debug mode on my easy start project, this was the very first time I used the dev board, I got the message that tells you that the firmware needed to be updated.
- For some reason it failed and then it went back and recovered the original. I disconnected and re-connected the XMC boot kit multiple times.
- After this, every time that I tried to enter debug mode on any of the projects, the code would be loaded into the board, executed, but the debugging session was immediately terminated with the message mentioned in this post: "Connection closed by the GDB server" (without mention to anything else)
- So I went back to my Dave3 setup and proved that the boot kit worked well.
- Coming back to Dave 4, I just created a new workspace and again tried the Easy Start, and it finally worked: I'm now able to enter debug mode and execute step-by-step.

I hope it helps.
0 Likes
User7878
Level 1
Level 1
I have a similar problem, it terminates after downloadig the program.
Infineon left us alone.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

it seems I got the exact same problem. I am using DAVE Version: 4.3.2.

I created a new "Easy Start Project" with the project wizard to work with the XMC4700 RelaxKit. Compilation works just fine, but during the download the error occurs. This happens for other project types as well e.g. 'DAVE CE Project'.

Regarding the proposed solutions:
1. Renaming the project did not work
2. deleting the lines 'monitor go' and 'disconnect' from the "Run/Restart Commands" in "Debug Configurations\Startup" menu is NOT working because the lines do not exist in the first place.
3 Creating a new workspace did not change anything.

Overall, fairly disappointing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
0 Likes
Not applicable
I first ran into the issue (no source available for "0x0"), when I tried to compile a project from a co-worker. After some investigation, I found the issue can be reproduced even if I use the default "Dave CE project".
Here is the step to reproduce the issue.

1. Create a Dave CE project and name it "HELLO_WORLD". Make sure you can compile and debug the default project.
2. On a different PC, just import the same "HELLO_WORLD" project. Then compile it, create the default debug config, and then click the debug button.

You should then see the "no source available" error message.
0 Likes
User14105
Level 1
Level 1
I installed DAVE version 4-3-2 on a Windows 7/64bits computer and I tried to compile the UART example on XMC4500 Relax Kit and I have - no source available for "0x0". I followed the steps sugessted by jferreira (Infineon Employee) but the result was the same.
Next I installed DAVE version 4-3-2 on a Windows 7/32bits computer and run the same example to get the same effect. Any clue what creates the problem?
0 Likes
DRubeša
Employee
Employee
First solution authored First like received
Hi,

It´s hard to say what exactly could it be but give it a try 🙂 please check this thread:
Debug Issue

Regards,
Deni
0 Likes
User7688
Level 2
Level 2
Hello,

it's amazing that infineon offers as a development tool, so bad.
Not only do they not try the software before publishing it, but they never fix the problems,
(the first thread was more than a year ago), we should concentrate on working on our code,
not on fixing software problems, that's work you.
I use Dave as a serious work tool, not as a hobby / educational tool.
I apologize if I look very aggressive, but it is the truth.
regards,
0 Likes
User7688
Level 2
Level 2
No case has worked for me.
I hope someone helps. in debug configuration-> start up click on RESTORE DEFAULT and it worked for me.
but the truth is I'm not sure about anything.
0 Likes
User14172
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored First like received
To anyone wondering, it happens to me when i'm using the Serial Wire debugger instead of the JTAG one, and i power OFF and then ON again the board.

The code starts running even if the debugger is still connected, and when i go into debug session it doesn't program the flash memory.

Solution I found is to unplug, then plug again the debugger while the board is OFF, then power on the board. The code doesn't autostart so I'm able to debug with no issues.
Hope this is helping someone.
0 Likes