How to connect JTAG to XC2xxx LE device

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
chad
Employee
Employee
Hi,

I'm trying to connect JTAG to fresh device of XC2234L that has never been programmed.
BMI is invalid because device is new. So, only things that I should configure for JTAG connection are P2.9=pulled -up, P10.12=pulled-down,and TRST=pulled-up.
But, I failed to connect via JTAG to a device. I'm using HITOP program with Miniwigger and 3rd party JTAG, TantinoXC to check connection between MCU and JTAG.
Is there something to check?

Thanks in advance.
Chad
0 Likes
12 Replies
Not applicable
Hi Chad,

Have you install the the DAS (Device Access Server)?
You have to install the latest version of DAS to be able to connect with XC2xxx LE device. The current DAS version is v3.3.1.
You can download the latest DAS at http://www.infineon.com/das
0 Likes
Not applicable
I remember you should write BMI first to XC2234L before you start debug with OCDS.....
I hate BMI, I think it will cause a lot of problems!....
You can find how to program BMI in ANs(ApplicationNotes) from IFX website and I think you should use Memtool first.
http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/channel.html?channel=ff80808112ab681d0112ab6b655c0807
BMI Programming for XC2000 / XE166 Econo and Compact - description (AP16188_BMI_Programming_v1.0.pdf)
0 Likes
chad
Employee
Employee
I don't think I have to wire BMI first because it's fresh device and BMI is invalid.
In case of Easy kit, BMI is valid and is configured as DAP interface. If I want to connect JTAG in Easy Kit, BMI should be modified.
In my case, I'm using fresh device which has never been programmed. I think JTAG should be connected only if TRST,P2.9 and P1012 have a expected value without any further work. Do you think I have to write BMI to choose ASC bootloader even though device is new, ?
0 Likes
Not applicable
I still think you should program BMI via ASC or DAP first. Why not try it first:)?
And I think ASC bootloader is most reliable way to program IFX MCUs.And USB driver of easykit will make a virtual COM port based on USB.So I suggest use ASC to config BMI. Perhaps you should wild two 0 zero ohm resistance first on Easykit, refer your Easykit UserManual.

Further more, Tasking VX V3.0a and upper version will support XC2234L,the earlier version like TaskingVx V2.5 will not suppurt XC2234L... :rolleyes:
0 Likes
chad
Employee
Employee
Hi Alex,
Thanks for your comments.
I think, If user has to configure BMI to select JTAG mode with new device, it might require another workload in factory line.
That is, user should configure BMI first and then download image to flash. From user's viewpoints, selecting JTAG mode without configuring BMI is easier and simpler.
That's why I just want to select start-up mode which can support JTAG debug with fresh device without modifying BMI.
10.attach
However, I found there was a wrong wire JTAG connection and succeeded in connecting JTAG to MCU finally.
But, sometimes, it failed. HITOP IDE showed error message "Tantio failed during device init". I had to try twice to connect JTAG. Although I patched DAS server, it still happened.
Have you ever experienced this kind of error?
0 Likes
Not applicable
It might require another workload in factory line.....Will product line need use JTAG to debug? No, they only need ASC BSL or CAN BSL to download HEX file generated by Engineer....
But a parameter in ROM_LIB is too small to start XTAL with CAN BSL, so as I replied before, the most reliable way to download HEX is ASC BSL.
As experience from my company (I didn't do it by myself, but I got a lot of information from my company), if you need debug XC2234L, you need program BMI first, and you shall get a DEBUG environment as new as possible. Further more, you PCB layout must! follow IFX ANs, or you can't enter debug mode(Easykit will not encounter this problem).
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
xuefeng
Employee
Employee
For XC2xxxL device, it can connect without write BMI to the board. but sometime there will be some issue.
1.may be cause by UDAS serve.
The latest DAS online is not stable enough for L series device, sometimes it will cause unconnectable. there is a UDAS patch availabe, user can put it in : C:\Program Files\DAS\servers\udas and replace the old one(better to backup the old one) then restart the windows system.()
2.may cause by hardware issue.
lots of time it cause by the PCB layout or resistance/decoupling Capacitance value.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
xuefeng
Employee
Employee
For XC2xxxL device, it can connect without write BMI to the board. but sometime there will be some issue.
1.may be cause by UDAS serve.
The latest DAS online is not stable enough for L series device, sometimes it will cause unconnectable. there is a UDAS patch availabe, user can put it in : C:\Program Files\DAS\servers\udas and replace the old one(better to backup the old one) then restart the windows system.
2.may cause by hardware issue.
lots of time it cause by the PCB layout or resistance/decoupling Capacitance value.
0 Likes
Not applicable
I forget something: the debug tool.
I use DAP wiggler(Not MiniWiggler) from IFX...And I know some third party tools will not support debug new type MCU well.
For example, UAD from PLS, one of the most popular debug tools for XC2000 or Tricore, shall add an accessory to support debug with DAP mode.
I don't know whether HITOP tools need more accessory to support XC2234L debug. Using DAP wiggler and Tasking VX V3.0 upper perhaps is the only way to debug.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

It is possible for a fresh from production XC2xxx LE device to boot into JTAG without program the BMI.
Like what Chad had said previously, the connection connected is P2.9=pulled -up, P10.12=pulled-down and TRST=pulled-up..
I'm not sure why you cant connected to the JTAG, for the pull up resistor, do you use at least a 10k ohm resistor?
You should use at least 10kOhm resistor for the pull up..
and make sure you have grounded the pin12 on the OCDS connector (please refer to easykit schematic).
This will make sure the miniwiggler go into JATG mode.. the miniwiggler will be in DAP mode..
0 Likes
chad
Employee
Employee
Hi Jackson,

As you mentioned, I used 10K ohm pull-up resistor.
At the beginning, connection failed because I used 10k pull-down for P10.12. After changing to 1K ohm, JTAG was connected.
If TantinoXC debugger is used, firmware should be updated to the latest version.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

be sure to have the firmware version V4.1.10 or later for Tantino.:)
0 Likes