Newbie with the usual questions.

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

I'm not just a newbie to this forum but to micro controllers in general. I started out interested in Variable Frequency Drives and Servo drives and ended up here trying to sort out the maze of information I collected the lasted three days.

To the point,

How is a controller like the IRMCF143 used? Aside from the development boards and startup kits, how would a device manufacturer use the chip.

I thought it would be like the dip type micro controllers which I understand can be plugged into a socket and connected to a PC for programming but so far I can't find anything to indicate that that is the case.
Are the chips on the development boards removable? Or would they have to develop their entire board with communication port to connect to a PC.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kal
0 Likes
6 Replies
srhim1971
Employee
Employee
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First question asked
Hi Kal,

While it is still possible to perform a socket-type programming that you mention on our controllers via pre-programming at the manufacturer's site, this has become more of a practice of the past. Nowadays, it is most common to perform "In System Programming" via the 4 pin JTAG programming port as described in the datasheet. You can find more about the details regarding the AC Timing, pinout, and block diagram at the following link:

http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/irmcf143.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153567237442731.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks srhim1971. That's explains much of what I wanted to know.

One more question if you don't mind my curiosity; so a manufacturer of, let's say, a servo drive would have the units all build and ready to go and
plug a bunch of them up to download the program to them in batch or do they do one drive at a time?

Thanks
Kal
0 Likes
forix
Employee
Employee
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted
You can use such a Gang Programmer which can program multiple chips simultaneously (so called JTAG Daisy Chain).

iMotion serials IC have the following type:
1: IRCMF300 serials: it only has RAM in IC, external EEPROM is needed for program story.
2: IRCMK300 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device supports JTAG chain for operation.
3: IRCMF100 serials (include F143😞 it is FLASH in IC, we have tested it, and it doesn’t support JTAG chain.
4: IRCMK100 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device supports JTAG chain for operation.
5: IRCMK099 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device hasn’t give information about JTAG chain.

But for programming quality control, we recommend each IC operated only by one JTAG port, especial for OTP memory. So a Gang Programmer controls each part of JTAG signals for programming.

Regards.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Bernd Brachmann wrote:
You can use such a Gang Programmer which can program multiple chips simultaneously (so called JTAG Daisy Chain).

iMotion serials IC have the following type:
1: IRCMF300 serials: it only has RAM in IC, external EEPROM is needed for program story.
2: IRCMK300 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device supports JTAG chain for operation.
3: IRCMF100 serials (include F143😞 it is FLASH in IC, we have tested it, and it doesn’t support JTAG chain.
4: IRCMK100 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device supports JTAG chain for operation.
5: IRCMK099 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device hasn’t give information about JTAG chain.

But for programming quality control, we recommend each IC operated only by one JTAG port, especial for OTP memory. So a Gang Programmer controls each part of JTAG signals for programming.

Regards.

Thanks so much Bernd. That's fantastic.

Cheers

Kal
0 Likes
snget2
5 sign-ins First like received 25 replies posted

Thank you for using our iMOTION1.0(IRMCF143), we are not supported this product any more. 

For your new design, we are recommend it you to us  our new iMOTION 2.0 wth IMC301T.

0 Likes
User15854
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First reply posted
Can anybody explain in detail about how to use the IRMCF143 IC for motor control, please.
0 Likes