infineon4engineers Facebook

infineon@google+ Google+

infineon@linkedin linkedin

infineon4engi@twitter twitter

infineon@youtube youtube

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie with the usual questions.

Beginner Beginner kal is on a distinguished road

Newbie with the usual questions.

Hello everyone,

I'm not just a newbie to this forum but to micro controllers in general. I started out interested in Variable Frequency Drives and Servo drives and ended up here trying to sort out the maze of information I collected the lasted three days.

To the point,

How is a controller like the IRMCF143 used? Aside from the development boards and startup kits, how would a device manufacturer use the chip.

I thought it would be like the dip type micro controllers which I understand can be plugged into a socket and connected to a PC for programming but so far I can't find anything to indicate that that is the case.
    Are the chips on the development boards removable? Or would they have to develop their entire board with communication port to connect to a PC.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Kal

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Expert
    srhim1971 is on a distinguished road
    Hi Kal,

While it is still possible to perform a socket-type programming that you mention on our controllers via pre-programming at the manufacturer's site, this has become more of a practice of the past. Nowadays, it is most common to perform "In System Programming" via the 4 pin JTAG programming port as described in the datasheet. You can find more about the details regarding the AC Timing, pinout, and block diagram at the following link:

http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/irmcf143.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a401535672374427 31.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Thanks srhim1971. That's explains much of what I wanted to know.

One more question if you don't mind my curiosity; so a manufacturer of, let's say, a servo drive would have the units all build and ready to go and
    plug a bunch of them up to download the program to them in batch or do they do one drive at a time?

Thanks
    Kal

You can use such a Gang Programmer which can program multiple chips simultaneously (so called JTAG Daisy Chain).

iMotion serials IC have the following type:
    1: IRCMF300 serials: it only has RAM in IC, external EEPROM is needed for program story.
    2: IRCMK300 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device supports JTAG chain for operation.
    3: IRCMF100 serials (include F143): it is FLASH in IC, we have tested it, and it doesnít support JTAG chain.
    4: IRCMK100 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device supports JTAG chain for operation.
    5: IRCMK099 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device hasnít give information about JTAG chain.

But for programming quality control, we recommend each IC operated only by one JTAG port, especial for OTP memory. So a Gang Programmer controls each part of JTAG signals for programming.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd Brachmann View Post
    You can use such a Gang Programmer which can program multiple chips simultaneously (so called JTAG Daisy Chain).

iMotion serials IC have the following type:
    1: IRCMF300 serials: it only has RAM in IC, external EEPROM is needed for program story.
    2: IRCMK300 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device supports JTAG chain for operation.
    3: IRCMF100 serials (include F143): it is FLASH in IC, we have tested it, and it doesnít support JTAG chain.
    4: IRCMK100 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device supports JTAG chain for operation.
    5: IRCMK099 serials: it is OTP (one time program) in IC; this device hasnít give information about JTAG chain.

But for programming quality control, we recommend each IC operated only by one JTAG port, especial for OTP memory. So a Gang Programmer controls each part of JTAG signals for programming.

Regards.
    Thanks so much Bernd. That's fantastic.

Cheers

Kal

Beginner Beginner kkhunte is on a distinguished road
    Can anybody explain in detail about how to use the IRMCF143 IC for motor control, please.

+ Reply to Thread
Disclaimer

All content and materials on this site are provided ďas isď. Infineon makes no warranties or representations with regard to this content and these materials of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, whether express or implied, is granted by Infineon. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from Infineon.

Infineon accepts no liability for the content and materials on this site being accurate, complete or up- to-date or for the contents of external links. Infineon distances itself expressly from the contents of the linked pages, over the structure of which Infineon has no control.

Content on this site may contain or be subject to specific guidelines or limitations on use. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Usage Terms of the site; third parties using this content agree to abide by any limitations or guidelines and to comply with the Usage Terms of this site. Infineon reserves the right to make corrections, deletions, modifications, enhancements, improvements and other changes to the content and materials, its products, programs and services at any time or to move or discontinue any content, products, programs, or services without notice.