XMC4100/XMC4200 - P0.5 not usable for SPI or I2C?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi there,
The Datasheet of the XMC4100 ( XMC4100_XMC4200-DS-v01_03-EN.pdf ) tells me on page 23 that i would be able to use the U1C0 Hardwaremodule on Pin P0.5. But in the Q48 PG-VQFN-48 package, DAVE does not allow to use that pin for that module. (It works on the 64 pin package) On page 20 of the datasheet, it tells me that P0.5 is available on both packages. Whats wrong? What can i do to use the second communications module for SPI / SSC? Should i trust DAVE or the DataSheet and program it manually by hand?

Very short version of the problem: New project, XMC4100, Q48, no other modules but SPI_MASTER_0, no changes. P0.5 not accessible for SPI and I2C, only for UART! Whats wrong?

Thank you very much!
0 Likes
2 Replies
DRubeša
Employee
Employee
First solution authored First like received
Hi,

it is true that P0.5 can be used as a MOSI pin. However, in the DAVE Pin Mapping that pin is not offered for the while there is not SLCKOUT pin for the U1C0 channel. If you take a look more closely under the Manual Resource Assignment

2284.attach

you will see that U1C0 is not even offered as an available USIC channel. The reason is while we cannot provide full SPI functionality (MOSI, MISO, CS pins are available, SCK is missing) on this device for the channel U1C0, we simply omitted the channel from the selection. As you correctly noted, for the UART you can also use channel U1C0 while the UART uses only two pins (RX, TX) which are both available on this channel.

Hope this solves your issue.

Best regards,
Deni
0 Likes
Not applicable
Dear Deni,

ah, ok, thank you very much! I/we took a look to the resource assingment and saw that U1 did not show up in any case - so it was a little bit weird. Didn't imagine the software being sooo smart 😉

Thanks!
0 Likes