Getting Started with XMC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi All,

I have recently purchased the XMC4300 EtherCAT dev board.

I'm having some trouble getting it to do anything, even blink a light!

I'm starting off with the base DAvE Project. (Reads a button, blinks an LED etc.)

However I can't seem to upload the program or debug etc.
I have attached a screenshot of my page.

Upon pressing Debug I get the second screenshot, giving me only one option. I then try to debug with it but get the following error:

Error in services launch sequence
Launching command [undefined_path/JLinkGDBServerCL -select usb=6 -if swd -device XMC4300-F100x256 -endian little -speed 1000 -port 2331 -swoport 2332 -telnetport 2333 -vd -ir -localhostonly 1 -singlerun -strict -timeout 0] failed.
Launching command [undefined_path/JLinkGDBServerCL -select usb=6 -if swd -device XMC4300-F100x256 -endian little -speed 1000 -port 2331 -swoport 2332 -telnetport 2333 -vd -ir -localhostonly 1 -singlerun -strict -timeout 0] failed.
Cannot run program "undefined_path/JLinkGDBServerCL": Launching failed

If anyone could help me get started with this, it'd be great thanks 🙂
2265.attach2266.attach2265.attach2266.attach
0 Likes
5 Replies
DRubeša
Employee
Employee
First solution authored First like received
Hi TCWilliamson,

due to the fact that I miss the screenshot of the "Debug Configurations -> Debugger" (one tab right on your first screenshot), I will give you some general tips, so you try first to verify them and then we can think about different approach. 😮

1. verify that you have Segger JLink installed. If you haven´t changed installation path during DAVE setup, the Segger JLink .exe files should be located under C:\Program Files\SEGGER\JLink_V510l
2. verify that your "Debug Configurations -> Debugger" window looks something like this (of course that name is different 😉 😞

2267.attach

3. check under "Window -> Preferences -> Run/Debug -> String Substitution" that string substitution variables look like this (this is based on assumption that you´ve installed JLink in default location).

2268.attach

4. if everything until now is OK, try restart DAVE and/or connect board to different USB port

Looking forward to hear your feedback,
Deni
0 Likes
Not applicable
DRubeša wrote:
Hi TCWilliamson,

due to the fact that I miss the screenshot of the "Debug Configurations -> Debugger" (one tab right on your first screenshot), I will give you some general tips, so you try first to verify them and then we can think about different approach. 😮

1. verify that you have Segger JLink installed. If you haven´t changed installation path during DAVE setup, the Segger JLink .exe files should be located under C:\Program Files\SEGGER\JLink_V510l
2. verify that your "Debug Configurations -> Debugger" window looks something like this (of course that name is different 😉 😞

2267.attach

3. check under "Window -> Preferences -> Run/Debug -> String Substitution" that string substitution variables look like this (this is based on assumption that you´ve installed JLink in default location).

2268.attach

4. if everything until now is OK, try restart DAVE and/or connect board to different USB port

Looking forward to hear your feedback,
Deni

Ladies and Gentlemen.... We have Blink-off 😄

Indeed. I did just need to install the J-Link...
0 Likes
Not applicable
Okay.. I've just tried installing this onto my Windows 10 Laptop.

I'm getting the exact same error. I've reinstalled it several times, along with the SEGGER J-Link without sucess.

EDIT:

I managed to fix that error, however I'm now getting this:

J-Link GDB Server failed: 
Could not connect to J-Link. Please check if plugged into USB port or Ethernet switch.

For more details, see the JLinkGDBServerCL console.

Not sure where the JLink GDB Server Console is...
0 Likes
DRubeša
Employee
Employee
First solution authored First like received
Hi,

JLinkGDBServerCL.exe file is located in the SEGGER JLink installation directory (if you used the default path; C:\Program Files\SEGGER\JLink_V510l). First verify if you really have mentioned .exe file.
Then, check the "Debug Configuration" window, tab "Debugger":

2269.attach

Verify that you have variables defined as in my example. Then check under "Window -> Preferences -> Run/Debug -> String Substitution" that string substitution variables look like this (this is based on assumption that you´ve installed JLink in default location).

2268.attach

Also, check in the Control panel -> Device Manager that you have under Ports(COM & LPT) JLink CDC UART port listed.

Let me know did you manage to fix your issues 🙂

Regards,
Deni
0 Likes
User17054
Level 1
Level 1
Thank you, I was stuck with the JLink program and was wondering why it isn't working.
I only had to install segger jlink like you said on your reply, add the path to Dave, and now it works!
0 Likes