ToDo comments in the DAVE 4 libraries / Quality of DAVE 4 vs DAVE 3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
I have experienced many problems with the DAVE 3 over the last few years and discovered many "ToDo" comments in source code of the libraries. This makes me very nervous.

So I am considering moving to DAVE 4 but the libraries still contain "ToDo" comments, not as many but still worrying.

Are DAVE 4 libraries better quality than DAVE 3 libraries ?

Is DAVE 4 a big improvement over DAVE 3 ?

Thanks very much for any thoughts

Best regards
Aaron
0 Likes
8 Replies
User7282
Level 4
Level 4
I think that DAVE4 is indeed a big improvement over DAVE3.

First the code generated by the apps is now based on XMCLib, a set of libraries used to configure the peripherals (that allows the configuration of the majority of functionalities the peripherals).
The existence of XMCLib is, in my opinion, an enough reason to switch over to DAVE4.

After this you have quicker code generation/compilation, the apps are better looking visually and the generated code is more organized.

In my opinion, the only thing that may hold you back from switching to DAVE4 is the smaller example library.
If this is an issue, maybe the best option is to check if the existing examples are enough for your needs. If it is not, I would suggest you switching over to DAVE4.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Apereira, thank you for your very fast reply and positive comments about DAVE 4. I am very impressed with the xmc4500 but have been badly let down by DAVE 3 so your comments give me confidence to continue using the device with DAVE 4.

Best regards
Aaron
0 Likes
User10538
Level 3
Level 3
Hi,
I've been working with DAVE4 for a couple of months. In this time I have unfortunately discovered numerous bug - some mature ones (like interrupts won't get enabled, even though commanded through XMCLib).
I did report them to Infineon and my fixes where applied to the libs, which shows it's not yet 100% stable but is evolving.
The simple code paths generally work, but once you need to implement special cases like advanced error handling, the bugs start raining down on you.
My recent finding is a bug in I2C, where it's enough to unplug the adressed device and the APP-code will loop forever (not even aknowledged yet by Infineons team)...
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Andyl, thanks very much for your reply. Your experience with DAVE 4 sounds similar to my experience with DAVE 3 where I found some serious bugs in the PWM and SPI app's in particular. I also suffered endless crashing of the Eclipse IDE when trying to debug, especially when setting breakpoints within the DAVE generated code.

I love the hardware but may well move to another manufacturer because the software has been so unreliable.

Best regards
Aaron
0 Likes
User10538
Level 3
Level 3
At least the IDE and Breakpoints work for me without any problems and in the meantime quite fast (back in November I experienced extreme laggines in Eclipse, but this was resolved through updates).
I'm using the Segger j-link ultra+.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks for the update andyl.
0 Likes
User7282
Level 4
Level 4
I agree with andyl, regarding the IDE, things are much better in DAVE4.

As for bugs I work almost everyday with the XMCLib and I have not found too many serious bugs for the time being.
I don't work too much with communication protocols, so it may be the case that these libs contain additional bugs that I'm not aware.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks apereira. I've had a quick play with DAVE 4 and it is certainly a big improvement graphically with the Apps and the App help is much better.
0 Likes