infineon4engi@twitter twitter

infineon@youtube youtube

Dave

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: File Transfer on EtherCAT - FoE, firmware update using XMC4800

New Member New Member Nico is on a distinguished road

File Transfer on EtherCAT - FoE, firmware update using XMC4800

Hello,
    following the instructions on Beckhoff pdf EtherCAT Slave Slack Code Guide, I activated on SSC Tools:
    • BOOTSTRAPMODE_SUPPORTED 1
    • FOE_SUPPORTED 1
    • FOR_SAVE_FILES 1

The file ecat_def.h is created by SSC Tools with the right options.
    On TwinCAT, when you select the device and click on "online", it displays the state mode of the slave and there is a button to put a file on the slave or retrieve a file.

How can I create a .efw file ( Ethercat firmware) ?

I tried to put on the slave a simple txt file, but it didn't work, saying the microcontroller is not in bootstrap mode while I click on boot it inside twincat menu. I had the error 0x8009.
    And when the XMC4800 is in OP mode, when I download a file on it, I don't have an error but I didn't get an success message either.

Do you know where the downloaded files are on the XMC4800, to open them ?

There is a MAX_SIZE_FILE, define by default at 0x180. In which unit is it expressed ?

Thank you in advance,
    Nicolas
    Last edited by Nico; Jul 28th, 2016 at 08:49 AM.

Any help please ?

Beginner Beginner jkennedy is on a distinguished road
    I also hope to see an answer, eventually my project will need to implement FoE.

Is there is somebody with the knowledge and willing to share ?

Beginner Beginner mrdata is on a distinguished road
    Hello, my name is Dirk. I have the same problem when trying it with the "XMC4800 EtherCAT APP SSC Firmware Update Salve Example".
    After Setting the Slave in Bootstrap Mode I click the button Download from TwinCAT3 -> Select the file -> Insert passkey "beefbeef" -> get following error:
    "Failed to download file to '...' (1001). FoE Err(0x8009).
    Thanks for any help!
    Regards, Dirk

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    jferreira will become famous soon enough
    Hi,

Are you using the example ETHCAT_FWUPDATE_SSC_APPLICATION_XMC48 example downloaded from http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/produ...downloads.html?

Regards,
    Jesus
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Beginner Beginner C64 is on a distinguished road
    Just want to add my 2 cent.

The example works great, and has a proper explanation for creating a .bin file you can transfer to the slave, but there are some small traps.

If you end up in a state where the slave has to erase during the update, the download will fail with a timeout.
    Use TwinCAT, with a supported network adapter.
    Stay with TwinCAT until everything works, I tried with SOEM and there seems to be a small bug in what SSC Tool writes to eeprom and what SOEM reads, it's possible to fix, but it's not something you want struggle with before your FoE implementation actually works.

New Member New Member SegLeister is on a distinguished road
    Hi,

I struggled with the same issue and ended up with the error "Failed to download file to '...' (1001). FoE Err(0x8009)" when I tried to download the .bin file over FoE.
    But after I carefuly read the touroial PDF I managed to get it up and running.

In the tutorial PDF (Getting Started - XMC4800_Relay_EtherCat_APP_FWUpdate_Slave_SSC_Exam ple) it says you have to modify the function "APPL_Application()" and "APPL_StopMailboxHanler" in the XMC_ESC.c file. BUT this is not the only generated Code you have to modyfie. Ist not specialy mentioned, but you also have to modify the function "FOE_Write(...)" and "FOE_Data(..)" in the foeappl.c file. When you compare the generated Code from the SSC Tool with the one pictured in the PDF you will find the difference

Regards
    Simon

+ Reply to Thread
Disclaimer

All content and materials on this site are provided “as is“. Infineon makes no warranties or representations with regard to this content and these materials of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, whether express or implied, is granted by Infineon. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from Infineon.

Infineon accepts no liability for the content and materials on this site being accurate, complete or up- to-date or for the contents of external links. Infineon distances itself expressly from the contents of the linked pages, over the structure of which Infineon has no control.

Content on this site may contain or be subject to specific guidelines or limitations on use. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Usage Terms of the site; third parties using this content agree to abide by any limitations or guidelines and to comply with the Usage Terms of this site. Infineon reserves the right to make corrections, deletions, modifications, enhancements, improvements and other changes to the content and materials, its products, programs and services at any time or to move or discontinue any content, products, programs, or services without notice.