serial usb communication

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm having troubles getting the serial USB communication to work on the Widefield board.

On the XMC4500 evaluation board, it worked for me as stated in the manual:

- import the "USBVC001_VCOMSerial_Example1" example into Dave3 and deploy it onto the board
- when windows says there's a new device available and asks for a driver, provide it with the driver in the example folder ( ".. \ Dave \ Generated \ src \ USBVC001 \ INF" )
- the serial example works afterwards on the evaluation board (echos characters, tested with HTerm)

when i deploy the USBVC001 example on the Widefield board, windows doesn't recognize a new device. It's still listed as a "JLink CDC UART Port (COM5)" in windows device manager. a serial connection is not possible, although it is a valid COM port in HTerm.

Has someone already got the same issue and solved it? Help would be very much appreciated!

Best,

Christian
0 Likes
8 Replies
Not applicable
Are you using both Applications at the same time?
Could you provide information about the OS you are using? If it is Windows, than close HTerm, due to the fact, that Windows disables the COM Ports for all other Applications except the one using it already.
0 Likes
Not applicable
im using windows with dave3 and hterm. i always close dave when trying to establish a serial connection with hterm. if I understand the manual correctly, I need to install the driver for the serial usb communication to work? Is that right? I always tried it under linux (board shows up as ttyACM0), but a connection is not possible...
0 Likes
Not applicable
What is the output of
lsusb

In order to communicate via serial IF we use the UART-Module and a USB-TTL-Cable (something like this Link:http://semiconspace.com/product/usb-to-ttl-serial-cable/)
Would this be a option for you?

EDIT:
In Windows: tried to reinstall the driver?
sry, have a german Windows: Treibersoftware altualisieren => Auf dem Computer nach Treibersoftware suchen => Aus einer Liste von Gerätetreibern auf dem Computer auswählen => select the previously installed one.
0 Likes
Not applicable
There are 2 USB ports on the Widefield board, one on the lower side which is used for the JTAG programming interface, and one on the upper side which is used for the serial USB communication. Attach the USB cable you want to use for communication to the one on the upper side.
0 Likes
Not applicable
The programming/debug USB port has SEGGER in it's name, and the data communication port has Infineon in it's name. That's how you can differentiate them in the device manager.
0 Likes
Not applicable
thanks philipp. thats it! I haven't even noticed the second usb port. unfortunately there's no info about it in the pdf docs 😞
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Pro90,

I'm sorry, but could you maybe post a link to where you downloaded USBVC001_VCOMSerial_Example1 from? I can't find it on the Infineon website or anywhere else :s

Thanks,
Ahmed
0 Likes
Not applicable
AElGarem wrote:
Hi Pro90,

I'm sorry, but could you maybe post a link to where you downloaded USBVC001_VCOMSerial_Example1 from? I can't find it on the Infineon website or anywhere else :s

Thanks,
Ahmed

Here you are: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yzv421a4ma2i9f9/AAB6q7YlAO_H5vPgqS9W9slRa?dl=0
0 Likes