infineon@linkedin linkedin

infineon4engi@twitter twitter

infineon@youtube youtube

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: serial usb communication

New Member New Member pro90 is on a distinguished road

serial usb communication

Hi,

I'm having troubles getting the serial USB communication to work on the Widefield board.

On the XMC4500 evaluation board, it worked for me as stated in the manual:

- import the "USBVC001_VCOMSerial_Example1" example into Dave3 and deploy it onto the board
    - when windows says there's a new device available and asks for a driver, provide it with the driver in the example folder ( ".. \ Dave \ Generated \ src \ USBVC001 \ INF" )
    - the serial example works afterwards on the evaluation board (echos characters, tested with HTerm)

when i deploy the USBVC001 example on the Widefield board, windows doesn't recognize a new device. It's still listed as a "JLink CDC UART Port (COM5)" in windows device manager. a serial connection is not possible, although it is a valid COM port in HTerm.

Has someone already got the same issue and solved it? Help would be very much appreciated!

Best,

Christian

Beginner Beginner DanyDJ is on a distinguished road DanyDJ's Avatar
    Are you using both Applications at the same time?
    Could you provide information about the OS you are using? If it is Windows, than close HTerm, due to the fact, that Windows disables the COM Ports for all other Applications except the one using it already.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
    strtok() - You come in peace, but you go back in pieces.

im using windows with dave3 and hterm. i always close dave when trying to establish a serial connection with hterm. if I understand the manual correctly, I need to install the driver for the serial usb communication to work? Is that right? I always tried it under linux (board shows up as ttyACM0), but a connection is not possible...

What is the output of
    Code:
    lsusb
    In order to communicate via serial IF we use the UART-Module and a USB-TTL-Cable (something like this Link:http://semiconspace.com/product/usb-...-serial-cable/)
    Would this be a option for you?

EDIT:
    In Windows: tried to reinstall the driver?
    sry, have a german Windows: Treibersoftware altualisieren => Auf dem Computer nach Treibersoftware suchen => Aus einer Liste von Gerätetreibern auf dem Computer auswählen => select the previously installed one.
    Last edited by DanyDJ; Jul 7th, 2016 at 07:25 AM. Reason: added Windows Information
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

Beginner Beginner PhilippGuehring is on a distinguished road
    There are 2 USB ports on the Widefield board, one on the lower side which is used for the JTAG programming interface, and one on the upper side which is used for the serial USB communication. Attach the USB cable you want to use for communication to the one on the upper side.

Beginner Beginner PhilippGuehring is on a distinguished road
    The programming/debug USB port has SEGGER in it's name, and the data communication port has Infineon in it's name. That's how you can differentiate them in the device manager.

thanks philipp. thats it! I haven't even noticed the second usb port. unfortunately there's no info about it in the pdf docs

New Member New Member AElGarem is on a distinguished road
    Hi Pro90,

I'm sorry, but could you maybe post a link to where you downloaded USBVC001_VCOMSerial_Example1 from? I can't find it on the Infineon website or anywhere else :s

Thanks,
    Ahmed

Quote Originally Posted by AElGarem View Post
    Hi Pro90,

I'm sorry, but could you maybe post a link to where you downloaded USBVC001_VCOMSerial_Example1 from? I can't find it on the Infineon website or anywhere else :s

Thanks,
    Ahmed
    Here you are: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yzv421a4m...qS9W9slRa?dl=0

+ Reply to Thread
Disclaimer

All content and materials on this site are provided “as is“. Infineon makes no warranties or representations with regard to this content and these materials of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, whether express or implied, is granted by Infineon. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from Infineon.

Infineon accepts no liability for the content and materials on this site being accurate, complete or up- to-date or for the contents of external links. Infineon distances itself expressly from the contents of the linked pages, over the structure of which Infineon has no control.

Content on this site may contain or be subject to specific guidelines or limitations on use. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Usage Terms of the site; third parties using this content agree to abide by any limitations or guidelines and to comply with the Usage Terms of this site. Infineon reserves the right to make corrections, deletions, modifications, enhancements, improvements and other changes to the content and materials, its products, programs and services at any time or to move or discontinue any content, products, programs, or services without notice.