On Board Dubug (ODB) for XMC4500 relax kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi,

I am using the XMC4500 relax kit with IAR EWARM. It works well (download and programming code, step in, and run) except some dubug features are somehow disabled: ETM trace, SWO trace, Function trace, Function profiler, Event log, Interrupt log.
Not sure the OBD is a full features and same as the the SEGGER's J-Link or with some limitations.

Thanks,
Ming
0 Likes
5 Replies
Not applicable
Infineon team,

I am afraid there is no any response. May be the question is related to the IAR platform and it is beyond the view from Infineon.
On the other hand, the OBD in the XMC4500 relax kit is made from Infineon. Is any difference of the capability between the the ODB in the board AND the standard J-LINK from SEGGER? The ODB's J-LINK has any limitation compared to the J-LINK from SEGGER?
Hope this is a simple question.

Thanks,
Ming
0 Likes
chismo
Employee
Employee
First like received
Hello Ming,

The OBD has the same functions like J-LINK from Segger.
For the Relax Kit, ETM trace (function trace, profiler) is not possible because there are no data pins connected with the target device.
However, SWO trace is supported.

Regards,
Min Wei
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Min Wei,

If we add data pins connected in between the ODB and relax kit (or any customer target board), do you think the ETM trace will be working?

In DAVE platform, any features available like Function trace, Function profiler, Event log, Interrupt log (if adding data pins for ETM trace or without the pins added but with SWO trace)?

Do you have any experience using the ODB with SWO or ETM in the IAR platform, or aware of any Infineon customer for such debug setup?

Regards,
Ming
0 Likes
chismo
Employee
Employee
First like received
Hello Ming,

ETM Trace data is transmitted via a dedicated interface and hence requires a Trace probe (J-Trace or I-jet-Trace). There is no way to use ETM with the on-board J-Link.

SWO does not really support data trace, but can be used for e.g. interrupt and data logging. To show this, you can just take the EasyStart project for the XMC4500 Relax kit and
- Change project option J-Link/J-Trace -> Setup -> Clock Setup -> CPU clock: 120
- Download&Debug
- Open J-Link/J-Trace -> Timeline
- Enable the interrupt window
- Run!
For data logging, enable the “data log” in the Timeline and set a data log breakpoint for the “ticks” variable. This will show “ticks” going up to 100 and being set to 0 again.

The DAVE platform does not provide such trace functionalities though.

Regards,
Min Wei
0 Likes
Not applicable
I suggest SEGGER RTT to get debugging infos out of the system.
https://www.segger.com/jlink-rtt.html
0 Likes