Get started with XMC4200

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User11520
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted
Hello,
I am new of the forum. I need to use the microcontroller XMC4200 and I am selecting the materials which I need to start using it.
I already saw the good KIT_XMC_2GO_XMC1100_V1 to get pratice with the mcu.
My first question is: with KIT_XMC_2GO_XMC1100_V can I also program a new XMC4200 (so I can use it in my designed board) or I need other tools?
My second question is: I think that with KIT_XMC_2GO_XMC1100_V I can program the mcu only after putting it in my designed board and after providing a connector for accessing to the programming pins of the chip.
Do exist a way to program the chip without putting it inside the new board, e.g. with an Infineon ad-hoc socket?
In addition, any suggestion of useful tools to get started with this mcu are well received!
Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
9 Replies
User11520
Level 2
Level 2
I better read about KIT_XMC_2GO_XMC1100 and I saw that it is a tool to work with XMC1100, not XMC4200. So can you also suggest me the best demo board for this mcu?
Thanks in advance
0 Likes
User7282
Level 4
Level 4
0 Likes
User11520
Level 2
Level 2
Hello apereira,
thanks for your answer, indeed the evaluation board which you proposed seems the best for me!
So, what tool can I use to program the firmware of another XMC4200, to use it in a my project?
0 Likes
User7282
Level 4
Level 4
So to program XMC microcontrollers you have DAVE4, an Eclipse based IDE. You can find it here: www.infineon.com/dave

In this page you also have other tools and examples to help you getting started with XMC microcontrollers.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Regarding the XMC2Go Kit, the XMC4200 is only used between the XMC1100 and the PC to facilitate programming and debugging.

Steve.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Oh, and I forgot, the XMC4200 is also used on the XMC2Go Kit to provide a virtual serial port.

Steve.
0 Likes
User11520
Level 2
Level 2
Thanks for all your answers. I understand that I can program the XMC microcontroller inside its evaluation board with DAVE4. Instead, I don't understand how can I program another sigle XMC4200 outside the prototyping board, for example to use it in a designed board.
For example with Pickit I can program a new PIC microcontroller. Do an equivalent tool exist to program XMC4200?
0 Likes
User7282
Level 4
Level 4
0 Likes
User11520
Level 2
Level 2
Thanks apereira, your suggestion are very very useful
0 Likes