Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
I would like to ask if someone has experience in using Infineon's IfxCpu_setCoreMode API function (In IfxCpu.c) to place a CPU into Idle mode by another CPU?

Calling IfxCpu_setCoreMode(&MODULE_CPU0, IfxCpu_CoreMode_idle); from CPU1 causes CPU0 to reset instead of placing it in Idle.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: I read in the AURIX TC29x B-Step User's manual that for the B-step the PMSCSx register is Safety ENDINIT protected. Hence i presume this is why CPUy can't set CPUx (In my case CPUy = CPU1 and CPUx is CPU0) to Idle eventhough initially when CPU0 powers up (CPUs 1 & 2 Halted) I can start CPU1 by calling IfxCpu_setCoreMode(&MODULE_CPU1, IfxCpu_CoreMode_run); after having set CPU1's program counter.

Executing the following code:

password = IfxScuWdt_getSafetyWatchdogPassword();
IfxScuWdt_clearSafetyEndinitInline( password );
SCU_PMCSR[ 0 ].B.REQSLP = 1;
IfxScuWdt_setSafetyEndinit( password );

fails to place CPU0 in Idle but doesn't cause a reset.
0 Likes
9 Replies
Not applicable
This is interesting. Indeed within the API setCoreMode function there is a comment that reads -

/* To take care of the Work Around in A step
* In A Step the PMCSR is Cpu Endinit protected
* in B step it is by safety endinit*/

Now referring to the User manual for both the A step and B step versions of the device, both state that to access the PMCSR register requires setting Safety ENDINIT to 0. Therefore this would suggest there was an error in the A step device that has now been corrected.

Note that in the API the function calls -

IfxScuWdt_clearCpuEndinit (password);

not -

IfxScuWdt_clearSafetyEndinit (password);

as you might expect for the B step device.

Could this be your problem?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply. I am using Safety Endinit but yes, great interpretation of Infineon's comment regarding the setCoreMode function.

Nevertheless, the code executed by Core1:

password = IfxScuWdt_getSafetyWatchdogPassword();
IfxScuWdt_clearSafetyEndinitInline( password );
SCU_PMCSR[ 0 ].B.REQSLP = 1;
IfxScuWdt_setSafetyEndinit( password );

fails to place CPU0 in Idle mode.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi. It would appear, on the face of it that this should work. Consulting the manual, the app notes and looking at example projects then nothing obvious can be seen that should prevent this from working. Well, unless there is a silicon issue with the B step device that we are unaware of.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply!! It is interesting that you should mention that it might be a silicon issue.

I have noticed the following:
Cpu0 can place Cpu1 and/or Cpu2 in Idle mode,
Cpu1 can place Cpu2 in idle mode and vice versa but NO Cpu can place Cpu0 in Idle mode!!

Any advice will be much appreciated.
0 Likes
Not applicable
That doesn't make sense. I could see an use case where you might want to transfer to the lock-step protected core and put the other two cores to idle, so to give the highest level of predictability. But as the lock-step core is core 1, then if any core would be immune to being put to idle by another core then I would expect it to be this core.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Problem solved!! Thanks to a Hitex (UK) engineer it was spotted that an auto reloading gpt timer interrupt serviced by CPU0 would not allow that CPU to enter Idle.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Well, that sort of makes sense because the core should go idle after it has finsihed whatever it is doing. If you have a interupt to service then it'll keep awake. So you disabled interupts to fix this?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Yes, I had global interrupts disabled but apparrently if a core is configured to service such a feature (auto reload timer), having global interrupts disabled doesn't have an affect on this.

Great that it is solved. Thank you for the help.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Ah, so the interrupt disable does not prevent the interrupt event from waking the core. Actually that makes sense in a way. I'm guessing you had to change your interrupt router to stop the problem. I'm sure there are several ways this could be avoid. However brilliant news it is solved and well done.
0 Likes