ESD protection using TVS for a wood shop

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello,

I am a student currently in the process of designing a wood shop for my program. It occurred to me to protect my building and equipment from lighting strikes and other types of electrical damage using a TVS to protect certain sensitive or expensive pieces of equipment.
I originally thought of using outside grounding rods but was told they are expensive to implement and only used in areas with large amounts of lightning strikes.

Therefore, I have decided to possibly use TVS diodes or other techniques to protect my equipment.

I am just looking for any insights from anyone with expertise or knowledge on the subject on how I would go about installing and sizing these products. I have spent quite a bit of time reading about the various factors and calculations that go into sizing one of these devices and it is a tad overwhelming.

Any insights into these products, pros/cons, other options for protecting my woodshop from electrical damage would be immensely appreciated.

I am quite new to these devices and any information or insight would be amazing.

Thank you in advance,
Nick
0 Likes
1 Reply
Not applicable
using TVS diodes is wise idea.
0 Likes