Travis will become famous soon enough

FAQ for XMC4800 EtherCAT

Click image for larger version

Name:	EtherCAT FAQ.png
Views:	5
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	2053

Hi all,

I would like to dedicate this thread specially for the development of EtherCAT using the XMC4800. Please do feel free to post your questions here and we shall do our best to answer these question.

Best Regards
    Travis

Travis will become famous soon enough
    General Questions

1. How many MII ports does the XMC4800 EtherCAT support?
    The XMC4800 EtherCAT support only 2 MII ports.

2. How many FMMU and SyncManager are there in the XMC4800 EtherCAT?
    There is a total of 8 FMMUs and 8 SyncManagers.

3. Can we use RMII PHY for EtherCAT?
    Since RMII PHYs include TX FIFOs, they increase the forwarding delay of an EtherCAT slave device as well as the jitter. RMII is not recommended due to these reasons.

4. How can I connect a serial EEPROM with I2C interface for the EtherCAT system?
    The EEPROM emulation mode is used in XMC4800 ECAT with a non-volatile memory (NVRAM) integrated to a micro controller.
    Hence an additional external EEPROM chip for the system is not needed.

5. Does the XMC EtherCAT module come with Distributed Clock for Synchronization application?
    Yes, it comes with a 64 bit distributed clocks with Sync &Latch signal, generation of synchronous interrupts, synchronous digital output updates and input sampling.

6. What does the Address space of the EtherCAT slave controller consist of in the XMC4800?
    In general the EtherCAT Slave Controller has an maximum address space of 64KByte. However for XMC4800, the first block of 4KByte (Offset: 0x0000 to 0x0FFF) is dedicated for registers. The Process Data RAM starts at address offset 0x1000. The size of the Process Data RAM is 8 Kbyte. Please note that the base address begin at address 0x54010000.

7. Is there any quick link to Infineon XMC4800 and XMC4300 EtherCAT?
    http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/produ...4800-EtherCAT/

Software Development Questions

1. How can I create the EtherCAT Slave Stack Code?
    Currently we are using the SSC (Slave Slack Code) tool provided by Beckhoff to generate the necessary EtherCAT Slave files. These files will be integrated into the DAVE4 for compiling and debugging.

2. Where is the memory location of the EEPROM in XMC4800?
    The EEPROM can be found in the logical sectors S4 to S7 of PS4. (0x08010000)

3. Where is the memory location of the 8K Process Data RAM?
    The Process Data RAM is located in memory location 0x54011000 to 0x54012FFF.

4. Where is the main software (eg. main.c, SSC code etc) located in the flash memory location?
    The main software is located in address location 0x08020000 (sector 8).

5. Does DAVE debugger erase the EEPROM during flash programming of XMC4800?
    No. EEPROM is not programmed or updated during flash programming.

6. How is the EEPROM data updated to XMC4800?
    The software shall check if the EEPROM area is empty. If it is EMPTY, EEPROM data from eeprom.h will be updated into the EEPROM.

7. How is it possible to overwrite previous EEPROM data with a newer version?
    A total flash erase is necessary using J-Link Commander or a function call to erase the EEPROM can be done in the main(). Once the software detected that the EEPROM is empty it shall then update the EEPROM with the newer version from the eeprom.h file.

8. Does the Beckhoff slave stack code support Safety over EtherCAT (FSoE)?
    Yes, the Beckhoff slave stack code does support safety over EtherCAT.
    https://www.ethercat.org/en/safety.html

Hardware Development Questions

1. What is the recommended PHY selection for EtherCAT Slave implementation?
    There is an application note document "AN_PHY_Selection_Guide V2.3.pdf" from BECKHOFF which has a list of recommended PHY selection.
    http://www.beckhoff.com.sg/english.a...t_products.htm

Getting started with XMC4800
    http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/produ...36ec8#ispnTab4

2. Where can I find the board design of the XMC4800 Relax EtherCAT kit?
    This link provides the PCB footprint of the XMC4800 Relax EtherCAT kit.
    http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/produ...36ec8#ispnTab6
    Last edited by Travis; May 3rd, 2016 at 08:08 PM.

DAVE 4.2.2 does not generate the code

Hi.

I did a fresh install of DAVE 4.2.2 64bit and wanted to use the EtherCat APP. I did as described under usage of the app's documentation, but the code generation finishes with an error, saying that I should check the problems view.
    But the problems view is empty! And the required "Infineon_XMC_ECAT_SSC_Config.xml" file is not copied to the ECAT_SSC folder.

Thanks for your answers

Matthias

Hi again,

I tried the 32 bit version, and this one works as it should. But now my problem is as follows:
    The code compiles without errors. I delete the flash with JLink, but the function E_EEPROM_XMC4_IsFlashEmpty() returns false. And so, no EEPROM content is written and the Master finds an incorrect slave.......

Matthias

New Member New Member ctess is on a distinguished road
    Hello,
    XMC4800 has DC support, but how can it be enabled? I tried to enable DC-synchronization with the latest version of the EtherCAT slave example and the Hands-on-Training sample project, but to no avail, seems like there's something missing in the sync ISR init functions.. see https://www.infineonforums.com/thread...-SYNC0%29-mode

info@spansystems.in
    Hi ,

Generally Ethercat uses cyclic communication mode.

I am planning to use Ethercat Acyclic communication mode for application data transfer.

I have found some Ethercat Slave device needs a cyclic communication to avoid stopping the working.

Dies XMC4800 device needs a cyclic communication to avoid stopping the work? or still it work with ethercat in acyclic communication.

Does it possible with XMC4800?

info@spansystems.in
    Hi Waiting for reply...

CleverOne
    Hi,
    Refer to the first reply to thread which is being updated per the queries on the thread.

New Member New Member erich is on a distinguished road

xmc4800 example code and DC use

How I Can modify the example code XMC4800_Relax_EtherCat_APP_Slave_SSC for using the Distribut clock (Sync0 interrupt) ?
    Thanks

New Member New Member rector is on a distinguished road
    Hi
    Is there extra payload of the ARM processor when using EtherCAT or does the extra processor in the EtherCAT module handle all?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Elin

+ Reply to Thread
Disclaimer

All content and materials on this site are provided “as is“. Infineon makes no warranties or representations with regard to this content and these materials of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, whether express or implied, is granted by Infineon. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from Infineon.

Infineon accepts no liability for the content and materials on this site being accurate, complete or up- to-date or for the contents of external links. Infineon distances itself expressly from the contents of the linked pages, over the structure of which Infineon has no control.

Content on this site may contain or be subject to specific guidelines or limitations on use. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Usage Terms of the site; third parties using this content agree to abide by any limitations or guidelines and to comply with the Usage Terms of this site. Infineon reserves the right to make corrections, deletions, modifications, enhancements, improvements and other changes to the content and materials, its products, programs and services at any time or to move or discontinue any content, products, programs, or services without notice.