How should I implement

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
In my previous thread i understood the explanation of bsp752r which I am using in my project. My question is generally we enable the bsp752r by giving the input from the micro and read the status back to the micro. Suppose if an actual short to ground happens and I understand using the status pin. What will be my next step should I stop giving the input to the bsp752r immediately that is disable itor I can still give input to the ic. How should I know that short to ground removed? Please advise.
0 Likes
1 Solution
User270
Level 5
Level 5
5 solutions authored First solution authored
In case you have detected that failure (e.g. short of output to ground) by reading the status output you should turn off the output.
Using a microcontroller's timer you can periodically check the status again. According to the logic truth table on page 7 of the datasheet you will have to set the input to H to activate the output and check the status if it is still L showing that the short is still there. I suggest to choose a period in the range of a minute to some minutes, If you can do it with your micro.
After some checks you can give up and disable the output forever. There should be a LED signalling the fault, so that someone can solve the problem. With every power cycle you should check the status after the power up sequence is finished according to the truth table.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Not applicable
Any suggestions please?
0 Likes
Not applicable
wish someone had answered this, facing the same issue
0 Likes
Not applicable
its a complicated matter I think.. so now I'm curious about it. waiting for suggestions
0 Likes
User270
Level 5
Level 5
In case you have detected that failure (e.g. short of output to ground) by reading the status output you should turn off the output.
Using a microcontroller's timer you can periodically check the status again. According to the logic truth table on page 7 of the datasheet you will have to set the input to H to activate the output and check the status if it is still L showing that the short is still there. I suggest to choose a period in the range of a minute to some minutes, If you can do it with your micro.
After some checks you can give up and disable the output forever. There should be a LED signalling the fault, so that someone can solve the problem. With every power cycle you should check the status after the power up sequence is finished according to the truth table.
0 Likes
Not applicable
forix wrote:

Nice dear! was looking who can solve this
0 Likes
Not applicable
forix wrote:

is it not effective on the results if turn off the output?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Unfortunately, eleclearner also encountered similar problems but can not find a solution.
0 Likes
Not applicable
ohh. its still unsolved..
0 Likes
User22366
Level 1
Level 1
Hi all,

According to the datasheet of BSP752R, when facing a short current condition the chip enters in a cyclic ON/OFF state due to the hysteresis of the overtemperature protection. Can the device work in this mode withoug getting damaged for a long period of time?

Thank you in advice
0 Likes
User270
Level 5
Level 5
There is a note in the data sheet saying: Integrated protection functions are designed to prevent IC destruction under fault conditions described in the data sheet. Fault conditions are considered as "outside" normal operating range. Protection functions are not designed for continuous repetitive operation.
0 Likes
User22366
Level 1
Level 1
I am aware of the note, thank you. But what response time would be needed to send a low logic signal to the input, so the device turns off, before getting damaged when facing a completely short current between the output and GND? Can it be a matter of seconds?
0 Likes
User270
Level 5
Level 5
To avoid any degration, the controller should react as soon as posible after detection of the "low" state of the ST (which is <500us or 0µs) at BSP752R or after detection from other additional designed protection circuitry.
0 Likes