ADC conversion time - confused

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi All,

I seem not to follow the reference manual very well (16-40 to 16-43) on the ADC conversion times.

First the example on 16-42. Does this mean it takes 1000ns to measure and have a result available for a single channel on a single S&H block? What is the 2nd conversion mentioned?

I would like to know something simple. Assuming I am using two analog input supplied to the two different S&H blocks. What is the fastest conversion time I can achieve if I read a single value out and how long would it take to read out both values?

I would appreciate any clarity someone can give me on this.

Regards
Enigma
0 Likes
5 Replies
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
Hi,

The conversion time is as described below.

1780.attach
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Travis,

So this is the absolute timing for a conversion, no matter the amount of channels you sample? Does this mean in the XMC1300 if I have 8 analog signals connected I can sample all of them within 1us, thus every 1us I have 8 results? Or does it mean every 8us I have 8 results? This is where my confusion is.

Regards
Enigma
0 Likes
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
This is for XMC4500 VADC, whereas the XMC1000 have a different one.
0 Likes
Not applicable
The max sampling rate of an XMC1300 is 1MSamples/sec at for 12-bit samples, which is ~1uSec per channel. 8 Channels would essentially require a minimum of 8uSecs.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi smays,

Thanks for reading my question and answering it.

Regards
Enigma
0 Likes