Test Driven Development on XMC4500 and DAVE?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User10076
Level 2
Level 2
Hello everyone,

My projects are getting a little bit more complex and I would like to add TDD to the mix. So I have some questions, maybe somebody could point me in the right direction.
Is there any way to do TDD using DAVE on XMC microcontroller?
Do you have any hints from where I could start researching?
Is there a HOT on how to do this?
Any suggestions are deeply appreciated!
Thank you!

Best regards,
Petru S
0 Likes
6 Replies
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
What is the Test Driven Development about?
0 Likes
User10076
Level 2
Level 2
Hello Travis,

Thank you for your reply. In a nutshell I want to be able to write tests for my code, run those test make sure they work, add some more code, re-run the first tests and make sure they also pass.
I'm not really clear how I should approach this problem. I found a book written by James W. Grenning called "Test-Driven development for Embedded C", I'm thinking about buying this and see what answers can it give me.
I have two projects in development now, one based around Web server and one based on the BLDC motor control, in both of them I could use some testing.
Thank you!

Best regards,
Petru S
0 Likes
User7282
Level 4
Level 4
Hello Petru,

I'm not sure if this suits you but in http://www.infineon.com/matlab you can find a library for Simulink that allows you to configure some Infineon XMC blocks.

In Simulink you can do model-based design for your motor control project, including simulation of your project and code generation directly from Simulink, that can then be compiled and debugged using DAVE.
0 Likes
User10076
Level 2
Level 2
Hello Adriano,

Thank you for your reply, I will give a try to Simulink, I've downloaded and installed but haven't got the chance to work with it.
For the moment I think I'm pretty close to what I want to achieve with BLDC motor control (using Dave 3 Apps). Is there any getting start guide to Simulink, motor control and Dave?
Thank you!

Best regards,
Petru S

PS: Thank you for the tutorial on Microelectronics Students Group, got me started really fast with web server SSI! Do you know if it's possible to include SSI in .htm files?
0 Likes
User7282
Level 4
Level 4
Hello Petru,

If you want to work with Simulink first you would have to switch from DAVE3 to DAVE4 and adapt your project. Right now there are no examples in the package related specifically to motor control but you can find some examples with the ADC, CCU4 and CCU8.

About the webserver: you are welcome! I'm not sure of it, but I don't think so.
0 Likes
User7804
Level 4
Level 4
Grenning's method and the suggested frameworks don't depend on the IDE / DAVE / Eclipse.

You might also consider testIDEA from http://isystem.com/ to run tests without instrumentation code.

Oliver
0 Likes